View Single Post
      05-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
So I've been a carnut since I was about 15. I am middle aged, and I've had 20 cars since.

Compared to some dudes I meet at car meets, I am not THAT into cars but I always loved to talk about them, get excited when I see a cool one, and loved always to think about my next one (even if I am loving the car I have).

I do tend to get bored of cars pretty quickly, say 6 months to a year. This is now happening with my current car, a 2020 M2 comp manual.

I don't go for joy rides anymore and don't really care to keep the car clean and shiny.

Usually when this happens, I start thinking about what my next car will be. And usually it will be about reaching that next level. So lately I've been thinking about either a porsche cayman 4.0 GTS manual or a 2010 to 2015 r8 V10 manual.

But more recently, after driving a v10 r8 manual, I seem to have lost the love a little. I don't find myself lusting after that car, or even a 458 italia, which has always been my absolute dream car.

In the back of mind, I say to myself, what's the point you are going to get bored of that car like any other car. I also think about the hassles that will come with a higher end car like that. Part of me says just get a decent manual compact sized normally aspirated car and be done with it. I am thinking the new BRZ might fit the bill.

The car I have loved driving the most to date, was my 2014 Cayman S manual. My first test drive of one, I was literally smiling and laughing pretty much the whole time and I had to have one, so I ordered one. I absolutely loved that that car, couldn't get enough of it, went for joyrides. But eventually I got bored of it.

Given how much I loved that car when I first got it, I know the same will happen with what ever car I get and I kinda feel like I just want to chill out and get a reasonably fun car and quit chasing a car I really feel the passion for.

You ever been there?

It could be the pandemic blues, but I've never lost the love like that before.
Kind of, but I don't ditch cars anywhere near as fast as you. If anything, when I pull the trigger on a fun car, the goal is to keep it for good. There's a few things I've learned ever since COVID started, just from some self reflection:

1) My end game was always a 997.1 GT3. I've realized that as prices go silly, it doesn't reflect how much fun I can have with a car. At say $80k for the cheapest one, is it 3x more fun than say my E92 M3? I personally don't think so.

2) IMHO, cars are just getting too fast. So the more you look at these expensive cars, the faster they get, compared to say my E36 M3. That really limits how and when you use it.

3) I actually don't drive my fun cars that often. Maybe once or twice a week, but I do have 3 of them so I rotate them. Would I be OK spending that kind of money, and having a car sitting there and collecting dust? No.

4) Related to the previous point, I saved a decent amount from not traveling and doing other fun activities, I was able to pay off 1 car early. Also about to get rid of my Toyota Tundra for a profit because I got an offer for it for more than what I paid for it in 2019. This will be the first time in way too long that I'll have no car payment, and it frankly feels very nice.

So in conclusion, I've really cooled down on looking at the next thing and just learning to enjoy what I have. At the moment, I'm really interested in the G87 and hope the price will not be unobtanium, like the Porsches at the moment. I can somewhat justify it because it'll probably my farewell to a fully ICE vehicle. From there on out, all my DD's will be boring electric cars.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0