View Single Post
      02-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #42
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I finally went and bought a plug in electric Chevy Volt.

It still has plenty of warranties left and still in excellent condition.

I opted to make a payment on it since interest is only 4.2%

My payment is $257/month
Insurance $50/month

Fuel and electricity will be the attractive end of this deal.

The battery only mode is good for 53 miles. If I can charge it at work too that would be ideal.

I still have 3 days to decide whether to get an all electric Bolt for $50 more a month as part of the deal.

But I've been known to leave my phone uncharged before and ran out of juice in the middle of the day. It's easier to charge a phone than a car and you can't call AAA to come and give you a splash of electricity. At least not yet.

I know the full electric camp will think it's half ass and the gasoline only camp will think it's a waste but I think it makes sense to me at this time.

I did have a chat with my electrician friend about installing a 220v charge port but since I can get away with 12 hours charging on 110v, I'm holding off for the time being. Plus I feel bad imposing on a friend.

But I'm digging the battery only mode. The 293lb-ft torque of this little car is addictive.
The VP I work under has a Bolt and one of the senior managers has a Volt. Guy with the Volt has about 2x the commute distance (if not more). I think the Volt makes a lot of sense for your usage. I know in his situation it sends an email every month saying "you drove xxxx miles and only used x.xx gallons of gasoline!"--unsure how this works if you buy used.

One thing to consider is that another friend of mine calculated that charging his PHV at home cost more per mile than just putting gas in it, even at ~$3 for regular here in CA (our electricity cost is 2.4-3.8x the 0.10/kwh figure you posted, though: https://www.pge.com/pge_global/commo...icing-2020.pdf).

How much did it end up costing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I definitely don't want to open up and consume that can of worms, but it's important to understand that all electric motors as configured in motor vehicles double as generators. .
I think he meant it has a gasoline generator that's only used to charge the batteries in order to drive the car via electric motor.
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0