View Single Post
      02-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #171
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

The car is back under development, and I will be posting on this thread over the next couple months.

As a quick recap, we had done much FBO and much of the suspension in then first phase (V1) of this car, along with bodywork, I had also begun work on changing out the stereo system (along with some sound deadening). To date, work on the car has been done by Barry Battle (3DMMotorsport, tuning by Dimitri (BQ), and of course work by myself.

The car is about to head over to Barry Battle's shop for a months work. He and I will be working together, as we have in the past.

I have decided to share my ongoing build sheet, since it largely consolidates modifications in one succinct place and may be of value to others:
Google Build Sheet.

To summarise the V2 phase of work being done. I am looking to prepare the car for a reliable 600whp - by that I mean I expect the car to support 100k miles of moderate to sometimes full use at that power level:
  • Complete suspension upgrades - coilovers, few remaining joints have spherical or ball joints.
  • Upgrade ignition system to reliably spark at new power levels.
  • Upgrade fuel system (direct injection only) to run at target power levels.
  • Prepare for an hopefully add flex fuel implementation.
  • Stiffen transmission and rear subframe to handle power levels, without significant NVH increases.
  • Upgrade clutch/flywheel to support power level.
  • Finish the stereo and sound deadening work I did over the summer.
  • We are discussing upgrading the turbos (without we're closer to the 500whp target). This is still up for discussion, and we've not completed committed to V2, or whether its a next phase (V3) project.

By continuing to post here, I hope some of this information is useful to others. The E89 Z4 is similar to other BMWs yet has many many nuances that are a pain to deal with along the way to making changes. It's always the little things - like the bimmerlife smart coil setup going into the car: one would think N54, it is the same as the E90 which shares the same motor, but Alex had to make the wiring loom a bit longer for the Z4. And so it goes.

I hope the above build sheet is helpful to others. If I or Barry can answer any questions, if we know the answers we are glad to share. Barry has, for better or worse, become a bit of an expert on the E89 by school of hard knox. The car sent him into the machine shop to mill new parts or modify existing parts many times. I doubt this go-around will be much different.

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 02-03-2018 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
jts1981211.50