View Single Post
      08-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #158
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Got it. On the 6.5's I don't believe they are used on other current BMW's. I believe they were in the E85 and feedback on those speakers would be relative to that configuration (which I've not researched, but doubt is the same as the E89).

I've not looked at this in detail, but remember our 6.5's are bridged from BMW. Looking at the wiring diagram they bridge in parallel. Someone can check me on this but given the same amplifier that is not in bridged mode, when the speakers are run in parallel one is basically going to share the same power with two speakers (the resistance drops). Given all channels on the amp are the same, this means half the power output to each speaker. Not going to do a lot for moving air, right? If one goes to a dedicated channel to speaker configuration, you'll get more power ... kinda twice the power. If the speakers are also 3 or 6 or 9 db/w more efficient, two to four times the power again, efficiency-wise.

The Hertz 165.1's I've installed are 97db/w efficient ... I'd be surprised if the factory units reached 90db/w ... so my new speakers are like doubling to tripling amp power. And then ... I changed my amp, which I suspect about doubles the clean channel output ... and I went dedicated channels to the 6.5s ... doubling output to each speaker. They are 100hz to 10k ... so they don't go down so deep. I guess I'm saying, I expect a much greater contribution from the new configuration.

I'm curious to see where all this lands. Just need to get back home and do some more installation work!

Filippo