12-26-2020, 11:36 PM   #62
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
Yes, that road trip put the range anxiety to bed. All of the build quality complaints seem to be slightly blown out of proportion in my estimation....especially now....and especially when I compare it to the few, real start up auto manufacturers that have come up in my lifetime. I've driven a Fisker years ago when they came out. I remember being a kid when my uncle brought home one of the first Hyundai's to be sold in NYC, I recall yugos (not sure if that was a truly new car company at that time). What I saw from Tesla's when they first came out can't be compared to any of those. From my vantage point they're continually improving. Fight as one may I'm of the opinion resistance is futile. Kinda like when the ICE engine took over for steam! History has a way of repeating itself. When I run the numbers, maintenance costs, fuel, etc......it's a no brainer for me personally. I love my cars almost as much as I love my money. It seems like I'll be saving dough in the long run and I'll be enjoying the drive every time I'm behind the wheel. They work for me.
I agree about the build quality. Soooo many people (who don't own one btw) complain about build quality. I was totally expecting mine to be delivered in pieces from what I had read. No issues. The only thing I noticed is slightly larger body gaps in some places that only an enthusiast would notice. No paint issues, no rattles, everything feels solid etc. Now I bought mine used a 2018 so maybe the previous owner had all the issues fixed, but I doubt it. My friend has also had a 2018 I think since just about when it came out and he hasn't had any build quality issues worth noting.

That being said I definitely find the service center experience sub par not only compared to other luxury brands, but even service at my local ford dealer was better. They do offer a mobile tech for some stuff which I do like. Had them come to my house and install 2 new tires when a pothole took them out and I believe they do more technical stuff also (just haven't needed it). Simplest process ever. Hopefully won't need it much though.
Appreciate 0