09-11-2022, 11:00 PM   #7
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So i still order groceries online like it's May 2020. Saw vac-pac Brisket at $8.80 a KG (roughly $20 lb) and with "average size of 3kg" I thought why not?

Mother fucker arrives and there's half a cow on my front step, damn near 8kgs (20 lbs)

So I will have about 17 people over for my sons 11th birthday next weekend, said to the wife i'll cook the dang brisket, keep in mind......i've never cooked one . She has made it abundantly clear that this is a bad idea and if i fuck it up there will be consequences. Jokes aside, if i fuck it up she's gonna lose her shit.

I have a Weber Summit series BBQ with 4 burners, wood chip container with it's own burner and a rotisserie burner. So, how the bloody hell do i cook this mofo? I assume elevate it off the burners, maybe in a short sided tray? I have nfi other than i expect this ill take eons, so I would love instructions from you folk that do this all the time.

Considerations:
- I don't cook in aluminum or cover food in aluminum then place in an oven/bbq, this is non-negotiable.
- I assume i need a rub, it cannot be spicy, crowd is mostly middle to older aged croats who cringe at black pepper
- Outside needs to be cooked, younger ones will do med-rare but older croats want the cow killed a few times just to be fucking sure
- i plan to serve around 1pm so ideally not up at 2am to get this freaking thing started but i'll d0 it if i have to

Fire away peeps!
I'm not expert, but I have cooked a few briskets. Based on your considerations... make something else. No black pepper? Med-rare? Not up at 2am? Black pepper IMO is an essential to any brisket rub. It's also not a steak, you don't cook it medium rare, well done etc, it cooks until it's ready and for a 20lb I imagine it's going to be 20+ hours. Biggest I've cooked was MAYBE 14lbs and that was like 14+ hours if I recall. Also I cooked them in an actual smoker, I'm not really sure how you would do it in a grill.

Options:

- Forget the brisket altogether
- Give it a shot but add ribs or something else in case you fuck it up
- Do something else with it. I'm sure there are other ways to cook brisket that is not smoked BBQ. That's all I've done with them, but I'm sure you can cook it in an oven or something.
Appreciate 0