View Single Post
      07-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #85
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Got a few more things done this weekend. The Bavsound kit is installed. Sound is improved, though I have to say the stock amplifier could use replacing. The Bavsound drivers weigh almost 3x from stock. Would love to find something that will plug and play with the factory harness. Reading around I've had moderate luck figuring out what's what. I have the 676 HIFI system (standard for the US market). I would think it would be identical to the E90, but don't know if that's the case. Anyway ... I'm asking around.

I pulled the roof headliner. Two rear clips at the arms, then a row of four clips at the front and at the rear, just like the door cards have. They pop off with a quick jerk. I not only sound insulated the doors, but added sound insulation to the roof. Basically I want to prevent the metal from vibrating and creating a drum, to which I'm inside. A noticeable difference now, when tapping the doors and roof. They have a dull thud as opposed to the previous mild ring. For those wondering, the 80mil material added about 2 lbs to each door and 20 oz to the roof.

Finally I pulled the rear right trunk compartment apart, and installed the smarTop, which works just as advertised. Now that I can open the top from the outside, I notice a fair bit of creaking from the rear when it is in the final stages of closing. Wonder if it has always done this? Everything is where it should be, the weatherstripping is fresh and in good shape. Hmmm ...

Painted parts are still being worked. With some luck I'll have the rest back this week, having the car back on the ground by mid-week.

Filippo