View Single Post
      07-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #106
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo B View Post
[...]the car developed a problem whereby during phase 1 activation of opening the roof where the panel with the rear window opens, on occasion, the right side seems to actuate a second or so slower than the left side causing the sequence to be slightly out of synch.
This only happens occasionally, i.e., every ten times or so. Now that I recognize this happening, I stop the operation, reverse it, start again and usually it will work fine the next time.

I took the car into BMW and they advise replacing the hydraulic unit at a cost of approximately $3600 since they believe the unit is starting to fail. I've discussed this with some mechanic friends as well as researched a bit on-line and and am starting to believe the issue might be a faulty or sticky solenoid valve or possibly problems with the salmon relay switches. [...]
Hi Paolo,
Is it correct, that the hydraulic loom has been replaced by a new one by BMW?
Then everything should be fine with the hydraulic hoses as well as with the electrical wires.

The two salmon relais manage the directions the hydraulic motor turns. There are 3 states, OFF, turn left and turn right. From my experience (>20 roof repairs) the relays are not the source of this problem.

Here you will find an overview of the hydraulic parts:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showp...diagId=54_0402

The pump supports each pair of hydraulic cylinders in parallel, not individually. This is documented in a public hydraulic circuit diagram I'm aware of.
If the hydraulic cylinders on the left and on the right work with a different speed, I assume there is more a less a problem in one of the cylinders, not in the pump.

Already some minutes ago I got a very fast replay from TopHydraulics.
Might be an option for you as well to talk to one of their engineers about your specific problem.

Top Hydraulics, Inc.
3235 Pacific View Dr.
Florence, OR 97439
+1 (541) 902 3214

www.tophydraulics.com

Making your convertible top hydraulics better than new with the highest quality seals and components

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 08-03-2019 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0