View Single Post
      07-31-2019, 05:20 PM   #105
Paolo B
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw z4 sdive30i

Roof Hydraulics

Hi, I'm a recent forum member and have a couple of questions regarding the roof hydraulics. I own a 2009 Z4 Sdrive30i and have had it for three years. Last year, I had a hydraulic leak on the passenger side. I took it to BMW dealership and they recommended replacement of the complete harness. The repair cost approximately $1800. Soon after, I put the car into storage for the winter. Upon taking the car out in the Spring, the car developed a problem whereby during phase 1 activation of opening the roof where the panel with the rear window opens, on occasion, the right side seems to actuate a second or so slower than the left side causing the sequence to be slightly out of synch. This only happens occasionally, i.e., every ten times or so. Now that I recognize this happening, I stop the operation, reverse it, start again and usually it will work fine the next time. I took the car into BMW and they advise replacing the hydraulic unit at a cost of approximately $3600 since they believe the unit is starting to fail. I've discussed this with some mechanic friends as well as researched a bit on-line and and am starting to believe the issue might be a faulty or sticky solenoid valve or possibly problems with the salmon relay switches. I'm wondering if anyone has some advice. Thanks. Paolo
Appreciate 0