View Single Post
      04-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #639
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
Why would this be the last M car with a manual?

I think BMW will keep making a manual M car as long if there's a market for one. As long as the net emissions by the manufacturer meet whatever standard is set by the country they're selling in, which if hypothetically 80% of the model range is electric, would be plenty of ICE manual cars that BMW could build.

Isn't the M2 almost 50/50 take rate between manual and DCT? Why lose out on that market share?
That market you speak of is a drop in the bucket compared to the more mainstream cars BMW sell so I'm nowhere as confident as you are that they will keep making it available past the G87 LCI (EOP 2029 I believe? ).

While the take rate is quite high in the US for manual M's which is wonderful, I can also point out that the new M3/4 are not available with a manual in some pretty big markets such as the UK and China.

We've already seen AMG announcing they're going with PHEVs imminently, I have a hard time believing that in almost 10 years, the M2/3/4 will not follow same path. At that point, would they develop an iteration of the S58 with a manual that's a PHEV at the same time? Or maybe make the Comp PHEV and base regular ICE?

Maybe I'm being a little pessimistic, but I think the time for the type of cars I grew up loving is coming to an end. Hope to be proven wrong.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0