05-16-2023, 02:19 AM   #353
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreten View Post
Anytime! It's nice to chat about this.

Frankly, you can't compare a 4-cyl with a V10. 10 cylinder engine with more than double the power is a totally different animal and far more complex to engineering.
But Honda is more reliable than BMW, no argument there.

S65 has another big issue that S85 doesn't have, main bearings. They don't fail as often as rod bearings, but mains wear badly too and there are already more than enough cases of them falling. It's always the #1 maim bearing that fails, supposedly something with lubrication. This is what happened to project Frankfurt and when they go, the block is trash.
I guess that's my point really; for all the thought and tech that went into the s85, they forgot or failed to make it properly reliable. Honda prove that a 100hp/L high revving engine can be reliable long term, so there's no excuse. BMW's priorities just lay elsewhere I guess, which is a little bit sad. I could happily forgive it for having 2.5x as many oil leaks or something, but consumable internals just never needs to happen any more.

That said, I bet the bearing issues would be solved by a good ~5w-30 oil instead of the factory spec treacle. Remember, more oil pressure isn't better, so long as you have enough!

Last edited by Tambohamilton; 05-16-2023 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0