06-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #59
BuddhaPilot
Swollen Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhoag View Post
I have developed an issue recently where sometimes my top needs a little help to complete the opening process. The glass stacks on top of the roof and then the roof lifts slightly and stops. I push up on it a little from inside and it starts going again and completes the rest of the process without issue.

Sometimes the top opens fine without my help. Sometimes the roof opens a few inches and I push it... sometimes it barely opens at all (but unlocks) and I push it.

Except for the initial hang up, the rest of the process seems to move at normal speed, or at least the same speed as it always has. Have never had any issue with the top closing.

Would appreciate any input. Hydraulic cables that I can see appear intact and without evidence of wear. No hydraulic fluid leaking. Pump in the trunk appears to be dry and in good condition cosmetically (no corrosion, etc).
Bryan,

Have you taken it to a dealer or an independent who has a BMW code reader? The pump and various relays/switches throw codes and it may narrow down your problem. My top was slow opening and would stutter as it retracted, but closed normally. I thought it most likely a wiring harness or hall sensor issue since it seemed like the process was repeatedly stopping/starting during retraction. An independent shop read the codes and said it was showing a continuous pump overheat. $620 later, my top works perfectly. Might be worth an hour of labor to get a more finite diagnosis.

Finally delivered!!...2012 135i/AW over Coral Red/MSport/Nav/HK/Toasty Seats/6MT
Appreciate 0