View Single Post
      08-11-2009, 07:36 PM   #28
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
Suggest spend some time in a 135i/335i/535i forum that discusses tuning the N-54 mill. No argument on exceeding the torque rating of the DCT - it's an area where tuners will test BMW's penchant for under-rating its specs. But a number of tuners have gotten this engine into the 420 lb-ft range with piggybacks (JB; AA) and with direct firmware modification ( a la Dinan), and this with normal fuel etc. As a Dinan dealer said to me one time about the N-54 engine: "they sure left a lot of horsepower on the table..."
I have spent time on the 135 and 335 forums and for every thread that I see with customers wanting to roll the dice with these motors and make big power on dynos I also see just as many with customers having limp mode issues, error codes and engine failures. Just because you can do something does not mean you should.

I Never said 400+ ft/lb cant be done I have seen all the claims and dynos from the piggyback tuners that show cars producing 400+ ft/lb tq on these motors but its not by simply installing a standard piggyback on a stock motor with pump fuel. Even the best piggybacks running pump fuel produce 340-360ft/lb tq on these motors. To get over 400 It would require a very agressive tune pushing the stock turbos well beyond where BMW designed them to perform along with race fuel / meth and other mods like upgraded IC and downpipes. We are very familiar with the engine management systems for the N54 motors and we know what can and cannot be done sefely.
Appreciate 0