View Single Post
      06-15-2022, 01:11 PM   #10
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
So, a buddy of mine just took delivery of a 2022 Mercedes S580 (AMG line) car 3 months ago. MSRP was around $148K.

Last week, he wanted to drive it to Illinois to visit his aging and ailing mother.

About halfway there, somewhere near a tiny town in Arkansas, he had a front tire blow out. So, he begins pulling over to the side of the road. BOOM. A rear tire blows out. He manages to get it towed to a garage station in a town with a population of less than a thousand people.

As it turns out, the mechanic points to another tire that is about to go too (no nails or debris but lots of side-wall bulging). But then the fun begins. They start looking for a replacement set of tires....none can be found. In fact, turns out there isn't a set of tires like this anywhere in the world (staggered set). They called everyone, including Mercedes.

He had to fly out back home to Denver, while his car is going to sit in that shop for months. I told him to call Mercedes back, tell them to send him a check for the car, and tell them where it is to go pick it up.

I can't even imagine, but who on earth is selling a car with no ability to buy replacement tires? This, aside from the fact that 2 brand new tires blew out with the third only miles away from doing the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
As far as he knows, the tires were probably defective. The mechanic pointed out to lots of sidewall bulging, etc. The car was only 3 months old, and he was just cruising on the Interstate. But that's as much as I know.
Look, I have a 2021 BMW X3 in my shop and cant get a steering rack and the vehicle was towed in 12/27. Its the "new normal" now.

I would bet if you check the production date on his Benz it was sitting somewhere for months waiting on chips/trucking carrier/etc and the tires failed due to sitting
Appreciate 2
br2wdc275.50