View Single Post
      10-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

What are the top five vehicles you've owned?

I always enjoy hearing about other car people's automotive journey. Let's share our top 5 rides so far. The ones that really fueled your passion for cars.

Here's mine (in chronological order)

1985 Dodge Omni GLH
After driving tercels and corollas, this was my gateway drug into performance cars. It was a quick little car with a torquey 2.2 and a 5 speed. I could light up the tires pretty easily and pull away from most cars at the time at stoplights. I was pretty happy with it until that 300zx turbo blew its doors off and I knew there was more to be had

1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Trunk
This car remains to this day one of the fastest cars I've ever had. It was a custom black 5 speed manual with lowering springs, engine mods, exhaust and 3:73 gears. It had instant immense torque (this is where my addiction to torque began ) and sounded great. The lack of strong brakes almost killed me and the rough ride began to wear on me a bit so I started looking for something more refined.

1990 300ZX. I saw this car in my girlfriend at the time's neighbourhood. It was a custom deep purple, with an f40 wing, debadged and huge (at the time) 18 inch concave and staggered wheels. I followed it home a couple times. About a month later it showed up in the autotrader and I snatched it up. It was my first taste of a refined sports car with a wonderfully smooth v6, a nice manual trans and great handling. It looked amazing in its time (I was driving it in the mid 90's) and people asked me about it all the time. I kept it a while and only sold it when it was getting a little long in the tooth.

2007 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0SI
When the concept of this car came out in 2005, I was in love immediately with its looks and when I first tasted its silky smooth n52 and well sorted manual 6 speed, I was hooked. It took me until 2009 to find a CPO example here in the great white north (as this car was not sold here) in titanium silver on black, but I absolutely loved this car. It has the honour of being the car I have owned the longest (about 4 years). I still miss the connection I had with that car, it just fit me in a way no other car has. I think there will be another one in my future at some point.

2014 Porsche Cayman S
While I suffer from carswitchitis, I loved the Z4 coupe, I really struggled with finding a replacement. I always admired porsches through the years and when the 981 concept came out, I was intrigued (I was never a big fan of the 987's styling and 911's were outside my budget). My first test drive of a 981 was of a boxster S with pdk and summer tires in 6 degrees celsius...and I was absolutely blown away by it. I ordered my 981 cayman S soon after. In terms of driving experience, this is definitely my fave car to date. I lusted after driving that car all the time, went for joy rides again for the first time since I was a teenager, always took the longer way. The car was just such a joy to drive, sounded amazing, handled at another level, the manual was the best I had ever had. The first 6 months with that car were epic.

Ok your turn

Last edited by baege; 10-24-2018 at 06:13 AM..
Appreciate 0