View Single Post
      09-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #71
Joe T
Rep
Drives: F16 X6

so here's where I am, I have a BA in psychology, an ex-restaurant guy, worked my way to a regional manager gig. left the restaurant business at 32 and got into sales. and am early 50's now

I made a good living in sales, I made a better living in sales than I did as a sales manager (my own commissions as an individual contributor were higher than as a leader of the team. Have a couple "C-players" and it affects your pay) I'm currently a VP, and my pay is multiples of what it was in sales and as a manager

and you know what... I needed that 4 year degree a few times in my life, Once to be hired as a restaurant manager. and a few more times when getting sales job. Did I need the degree FOR the job? NOPE !!!! What I needed it for was to get the interviews for the jobs.

While a college degree isn't needed for every job, and not everyone should go to college, what a degree tells many (not all) employers is that you can
1. learn something and
2. commit four years to a goal of getting your degree

Many employers will exclude you from job, or limit promotions over a piece of paper

My degree in psychology "may" help me with the people portion of my job, what would help me more now is marketing or finance, and I consider every year getting an MBA, because having just a BA potentially limits my next moves, next job, next company.

Here's an exercise for you, figure what the best sales rep makes, then figure what your manager makes, and then guess what your GM might make. I can tell you what I thought was good money at 23, is dogshit at 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaud1998 View Post

---snip---

The current GM at my job kinda sucks. Recently, we sold a 21 Mustang Mach-E for 15k over sticker (MSRP $55k we sold it for $70k +TTL). The customer traded in a 2019 Ford F-250 platinum with 39k miles for the Mach-E. The GM gave the customer $72k for his truck. The trade-in value is around $65k. Retail is $70k. He gave the customers $5k above trade-in and $2k above retail. Just to get our car out.

Now the F-250 is priced at $78k. $8k above retail. If no one buys it within 90 days, we'll have to drop the price to around $67k to get any action. It's going to automatically be a loser.

He should've dropped the market adjustment on the Mach-E to about $5k and gave the guy around $60k-62k for his trade-in. That way, it's even on both sides.

Now we're going to be flipped on the F-250 and whoever ends up selling it after 90 days is only going to be making a mini ($100).

so I have this conversation with our sales reps sometimes. they only see the surface. You see what the GM wants you to see. you see a bad deal, or crappy management, or a mini. What you don't see if back end/debt on the business/allotments from the "mothership" (like maybe selling 1 more Mach-E could triple the dealerships allotment for 2022...) and numerous other things.

I approved a sale for a $20,000 loss earlier this year, because it kept someone from going to "bid" gave us an open PO and sole source agreement worth $4,000,000 over 24 months. The sales rep bitched, told me I was reaching into his pocket and would cost him about $1000. I tried to explain, he complained to his manager he wanted off the account. We transferred the account to a new rep that will make roughly $20,000 on them over the next 2 years. Very short sighted, and not strategically looking at his business.

Your GM is the GM because TODAY he knows more about the business than you.

As for your home situation, at some point what you need is more important that what your parents want
Appreciate 5
upstatedoc7555.50
Mosaud19983921.50
shimmy232341.00
LuxoM347.00