09-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #37
nogren
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G01 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGT3 View Post
If you watch the 1st. episode of new Netflix series "Dirty Money" about VW's diesel debacle you might not want a diesel. It's very well done and implicates BMW and MB as well towards the end. Bottom line these engines pollute 400% to 500% more than the manufacturers say. It's worth watching. BMW's decision might very well be related to this since the motors might not pass emission regs.
That's just politics. I am sure there are tech already there to handle it.
And with higher compression in gas engines, they also generates some of the emissions diesel generate, I.e. will require similar cleaning as the most modern BMW diesels.

At the moment it's a bit more expensive to develop and certify diesels, especially on some markets (us), so some companies avoid that costs partly (BMW), and completely (Volvo, who won't develop the next generation VEA diesels).

I am happy driving a clean diesel, generating far less co2 that comparable gas cars. And with more torque available if needed.