View Single Post
      01-11-2022, 10:07 AM   #7
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

TBH I don't understand your relay device and what it does exactly but will take onboard once i speak with a HVAC expert.
Sorry, let me explain it this way. The Aprilaire is normally controlled by a humidity sensor that is installed and measures moisture in the HVAC vents. However, this is kind of flawed because the vents can trap moisture, therefore the sensor thinks there is humidity present and won't run the main unit...Like you, we tried to set it lower in order to reduce condensation but then it ran too little (because of aforementioned problem) and we started getting static electricity shocks like when touching a light switch or even when kissing each other LOL.

So, I installed a device that looks like a metal ring that sits around the "live" wire that runs the furnace. Whenever electricity comes on to power the furnace via that wire, that metal ring (the relay) senses it and then runs the humidifier. So, the humidifier only runs when the actual furnace is running - bypassing the humidity sensor that normally controls the unit.

Hope that made sense.

This:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
I think what he's saying is, the humidifier now only runs when the thermostat calls for heat, instead of running until it hits a humidity setpoint.
Appreciate 0