05-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis@MWDesign View Post
I am running 245/30/20 F 285/25/20 R Toyo T1R Tires, best tire for the dry and wet climates.

Roads up here are fine, I've been running 20" wheels on my past 2 project cars and this will be the 3rd one - no pot holes damage at all. Steering I have not felt any difference, in fact I am getting better handling with the fatter tires.
I just did a quick lookup based on Goodyear Eagle F1's found on tirerack.com just to get an approximate idea of size and weight going from a 19" to a 20" tire.

They didn't have Toyo's but I assumed Goodyear Eagle F1's. They add about two pounds per tire. Assuming that your 360 degree forged wheels would offset the increase. Otherwise, I'm sure the standard BMW wheels would weigh more, so you're likely looking at an increase of around 5 pounds per wheel/tire. Using the 6x factor for unsprung weight, that would equal 30 lbs at speed and in the curves. The wide tire width would help mitigate increase.

Also, using the Goodyear Eagle F1's 20" for approximate tire diameter, the sidewall would be larger than OEM sizes, and that helps with the sidewall issue I mentioned above.

To the OP: The moral to the story is get the best stuff you can afford to avoid altering your car's steering and handling.

Hate to be a grump but I've got three vintage muscle cars. The original owners always modify them, and I spent most of my time and money bringing back to stock so the run like the OEM had in mind.

I have to say Lewis your car does look Hot!
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 05-23-2010 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0