synclastica_86
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, E92 M3, S550

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
I'm guessing it has to due with trying to limit credit card fraud . . . our financial institutions are decidedly jingoistic, and probably feel like the likelihood of the card being stolen/fake/etc is greater if the card isn't US issued. Plus, some web vendors, especially the higher-ticket ones, won't ship to anything but the billing address for the same reason.
But I am having them ship to the billing address (I had one bank in Hong Kong change my billing address to my US address). And I don't see what the fraud risk is, I mean... if someone got my card they wouldn't be able to provide my address anyways. Also, once the payment goes through, they'll get paid regardless right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post

Many places would have the decreased business from not taking overseas cards than dealing with the potential fraud implications. Why not just open a card for a US issuer and have your parents take care of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
I guess that sucks, but why don't you get a US based credit card?
I can as I student, I actually did tried once, but the limit they gave ridiculously small. $500 at first then I called them to up it $1000, but that's all they are willing to give me since I have no credit. Also, statements get mailed to me and I always forget to pay them. I am bad at these things... I hardly even bother check my mail box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowFinger View Post
hey there! i'm from HK too... something doesn't seem right...

you have a wife and you are still living off your parents CCs ?
Well... I can see why that doesn't sound right. But I just love school. I'm probably gonna stay in school all my life. I'm a physics major; therefore, I probably won't get hired unless I have my PhD. I tried working a few jobs for fun. I was a Prof assistance and worked a few summer jobs while I was in HK. I do enjoy working... actually I like it a lot... it gives me time to relax and take time away from physics, but no job that would hire me would be able to support my current lifestyle. My plan is to keep studying at least until both my wife and I get our 1st PhD. Then our wages would maintain a decent lifestyle for us.

Current: BMW F32 435iA M-Sports; BMW E92 M3, M-DCT; Mercedes W221 S550 4matic; Ford Fiesta ST; Nissan Silvia S15 Spec-R
Retired: BMW E93 323iA; BMW E85 Z4 3.0i, SMG; Lexus IS 250 AWD; Lexus GX 470; Mercedes W203 C230 Sportscoupe; Peugeot 206 S16; Peugeot 206 RC
Appreciate 0