View Single Post
      05-03-2024, 04:37 AM   #22
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

i think its the regular competition 7.5 inch with high density(HD) core. They have changed their naming over the years... there used to be a regular 7.5 inch and then a HD variant. guess they dropped the regular one and only offer high density cores now...

One thing to note! Eventhough people like those vrsf 7.5 inch intercoolers they arent totally plug and play. You will have to do some irreversible mods to get it to fit. Cut some stuff behind the bumper. With a 5 inch you dont have to do that...

Also VRSF intercoolers dont have Bmw quickconnect piping connections...They use silicone hoses to hook up the piping, This means you have to do again some irreversible mods and cut those quick connects off from the ends of the piping. Thats something you have to do even with vrsf 5" unit.

If you dont want to do any cutting,then look at CSF intercooler for example... it still has stock connections. just google CSF n54 intercooler. Aint as big as vrsf 7.5 inch but will do the job...

also can look at Wagner tuning:
evo 1 is totally plug and play intercooler
evo 2 uses silicone hoses..

there has been arguments made that the stock quick connector becomes a bottleneck at some point as the piping inner diameter shrinks down at the connection point... with silicone hose it doesnt do that... i guess it all depends on how far are you willing /wanting / planning to go.

Also look at intercooler weights... big intecoolers weigh alot...

Take your time and dont hurry!
2009 35i DCT Havana brown with ivory white interior. Mods: Cobb stage 1+FMIC, Wagner EVO1 FMIC, BMS DCI, Forge DV-s, Masata Chargepipe, KW V3 suspension, M3 front control arms, Hardrace RTABS + balljoints, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Last edited by KennyP; 05-03-2024 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 1