View Single Post
      05-02-2024, 08:40 PM   #107
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
No but they indirectly require electric steering, which inherently has no real feedback. I can't speak to any of those as I haven't driven them but I've seen, read, and heard the reviews. I know that Porsche has mastered EPS. The rest? I doubt it's anything meaningfully better than what BMW is able to do. As far as unpredictable rotation goes, this is new to me. I'd love to hear more about it. Are you talking about snap oversteer?
My 2018 Chevy Suburban has better EPS than most of the F-chassis BMW loaners I ever drove (F10, F15, F30, F33).

I even still prefer it over our new G05 X5. It's appropriately weighted for what it is, has great on-center feel and precision, and instills confidence which you absolutely need when piloting a full-sized SUV down the road. I really don't like the variable weighting of the G05 rack, which constantly leaves you guessing. It weights up nicely at speed and for turns, but can occasionally feel a bit nervous or darty on center in sport, and too loose or relaxed in comfort. I hate the low speed lightness, and wish it would just stay more weighted, but this is what Asian market customers want, so BMW is trying to cater to both markets at the same time.

So all of these different steering modes in the BMW, none of which really feels quite right. My Suburban has one mode, which feels perfect and never leaves you guessing. I've read the same about some Mercedes vehicles getting it just right in one mode also.

Porsche is uncompromising and says go lift some weights if you can't turn the wheel, and they're not really mass marketed like BMW's are. Chevy isn't selling too many cars in China or Europe, so they weight them for 'Muricans. BMWs are fully global mass marketed cars, and so focus group compromise steering is what we get these days.

I'm over it. It is what it is, and I can just go take my E93 for a spin too. Just got summer tires put back on it finally.
mirob3748.50
Mavus2162.00