05-02-2023, 05:34 PM   #2171
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
The problem with having charging stations everywhere is the assumption that there is adequate power to serve it/them. Hydrogen generation can be located at a convenient location with plenty of supply, and after concentration it can be moved to where it needs distributed, much like petrol fuels. If could be generated at a solar site during the day when there is plenty of excess energy, made 100% greenly, and them moved to where it's needed.

Charging stations depend on the grid, and that's a whole different story about supply and delivery. Making assumptions is typically bad form, and this scenario is no exception. add to this that most cars are charged at night when there is very little green power, and the flaw in this thinking becomes more egregious.

All this EV stuff depends on something no one seems to be aware of where or how it actually it gets made and delivered. If you don't know where these watts will come from (meaning it's not baked into the plan), you have no business making such plans. And no, "somebody else will figure that out..." is not an acceptable answer.
If we can't handle charging evs I doubt we can handle producing hydrogen at half the efficiency. But I'm no engineer so wtf do it know. I just know if I had to go fill up my model 3 with hydrogen every week it would suck and I would just drive my ICE.

While I don't question the levels of human stupidity... I still doubt anything is going to happen come 2035 or whatever. Big hoopla over nothing. Either the mandate will go away as soooo much political crap does and no one will even remember it or the grid will grow over the next decade to support it. My guess is some combination of both. The ICE ban will most likely go away AND EV sales will increase forcing upgrades to the grid. Remember when the world was going to end in 2000?
Appreciate 5
Patton2502959.00
lakefront598.50
kyriian938.50