View Single Post
      03-12-2023, 06:12 PM   #77
aa2033
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
It’s interesting that throughout this thread, many reference stone chip protection as a reason for PPF. I’d suggest that a stone chip would damage the PPF and you d have to get it redone anyway. That said, I’ve not had that experience.

I’m about to get my door handle cups, rocker panels and top of the rear bumper PPFd as those areas are vulnerable to light scratching.
Self healing PPF should keep those areas looking good for longer.
Well that's kind of the point of ppf, right? It isn't meant or implied that it's permanent or impenetrable. It's a sacrificial layer of protection. So the ppf gets chipped and damaged and your paint doesn't. Then when the ppf is in rough enough shape that you want to replace it, you remove the old ppf and replace it with a fresh piece. Again, sacrificial layer.

I would rather replace the ppf on my bumper and hood every few years than have to repaint panels. Being able to keep as much factory finish is my objective, and really the point of ppf in general. Ppf can still get damaged and not protect your paint from complete damage too, but it can lessen it.
Appreciate 0