01-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #132
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Until recently, my wife and I used to road trip at least twice a year, sometime three trips just for recereation. We still on occasion take a 12-hour day trip into the excellent roads that make West Virgina being on the map. End of July 2022 we ripped off an 11-hour day in my new Bronco on the 2nd day I owned it.

Way back in the day we owned a Jeep YJ, and a stripper below the Trim level S. Heat, no AC, canvas top, solid axle up front on leaf springs. Seats were very comfortable. I could easily rip off 8 - 10 hour days in the YJ stopping only for gas and a Miky D's run. Motorcycle runs across the USA, trips South and North, all on top of driving 800 miles per week commuting to my office. We've never stopped for 30 minutes to refuel.

The point is, when people are driving "to get some place" beyond a 300-mile EV range limit and trying to get some place, they do not stop for half an hour to refuel, stretch, eat, blah, blah, blah. They rip off as many miles in the shortest period of time.

I have a past work colleague/friend, Paul, who is a car guy and a big Tesla proponent and owns a Model Y. He and his wife routinely road trip in the mid-Atlantic from Northern Virginia to Southern Virginia and South Carolina to visit his kids. He has explained to me how road tripping in a Tesla works. He's also a GA pilot, so he's programmed to accept fuel limitations and expert on trip planning tied to fuel range; so trip planning is square in the center of his wheelhouse. With the travel destination programmed into Tesla's charging network the network does the recharge planning for you. Tesla's network plans the stops along the pre-determined route and based on the driver chosen parameters of when and how he wants to stop and refuel. Paul says the best recharging plan (meaning shortest recharging time) is to recharge the battery when it reaches 50% state of charge (SOC). At 50% SOC the battery can accept a higher average rate of recharge (to get to 80%), which shortens the time sitting to recharge. Tesla's trip planning knows where and when and at what charger you are going to stop at, so the trip-planning integration function begins to condition the battery (i.e. optimizes the battery temperature) a head of time for the fastest recharge rate based on the battery's SOC when the car arrives at the Tesla charger location. Neat shit! So, for a 700-mile trip as an example, instead of stopping twice at 250-mile increments, Paul will stop three times (at 175 miles increments) with shorter recharging times, thus making the cumulative recharge time for the 700-mile trip shorter. The Tesla network keeps track of your trip as you travel and compensates and corrects for traffic and weather abnormalities and Tesla charger availability. Paul loves it, but being a GA pilot, it plays into his normal state of travel he's used to because he flies a plane.

Me, I just like to drive where and when I want. I like to use a map to plan my own route and stop for gas when I hit an 1/8th of a tank... (yeah, real Boomer shit - )
You’re taking about a cannonball run not a road trip lmaooo

The average rest stop for a 2 hour drive is 15 minutes. I said 20 minutes if you drive 3.

Are you Jeff Gordon where each rest stop has to be done in 2 minutes? You’re not going to the bathroom? Not letting your kids using the bathroom? What about snacks? Wife needs coffee. There’s a line in the rest stop mini mart.

People saying it’ll take 5 minutes for a complete rest stop experience are talking out of their asshole.

But I love the excuses!! Hahaha