First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
In this particular instance, I was referring to the argument regarding carbon fuels "killing the planet", in which case I would probably trust an environmental or chemical engineer over an electrical or mechanical engineer. I trust one role would be proficient in assessing the difficulty and plausibility of a project, and the other in whether or not the project is necessary. Those are largely mutually exclusive issues that somehow have to become mutual.

Ex: Design team tells engineers they have to make X to meet a goal. Engineers tell them it's too difficult and close to impossible. They are both right.
Climate science is not settled and the data sources are in dispute, where as most electrical and mechanical engineering sciences are pretty well sorted out.
Um, what is settled (as much as anything in science) is that there are gases in the atmosphere that help trap heat and have made this a livable planet. It is settled that our combustion of fossil fuels has increased the concentrations of these gases in the atmosphere. It is know that the earth has warmed as these gases have increased in concentration, consistent with the physical properties of these gases. We have not just a correlation, but a mechanism the explains the warming.

It's wrong to suggest that there isn't an overwhelming body of science that substantiates the prediction, made over 100 years ago, that fossil fuel combustion has caused significant warming.
Appreciate 0