View Single Post
      07-13-2022, 02:35 PM   #1
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Keep and invest my beater or move on?

Struggling with my decision so thought i'd gather the thoughts of the many highly intelligent and unbiased individuals on this forum

FACTS:

Wife's Mobile: 2019 Stelvio, 6,000 miles. Near new still, she absolutely LOVES it. Lease ends end of 2023, buy back will be HALF of what it is worth right now so only sensible decision, if if values drop, is to buy it out. Car is perfect for 2 kid family except for once or twice a yr at most and home depot runs as the trunk is very small.

Toy Car: 2009 - 997.2 "S" Cab, 40K miles. Let's assume I keep it long term.

Daily Beater: 2008 9-3 wagon, 2T, 83K miles. Owned from 33K miles since 2010. Lives outside all year, no mercy from minus 35 to plus 35. I expect to put about 5,000 miles a yr on the car moving forward.

The Saab is starting to show signs she needs a commitment or for me to walk away. We have tried cheap fixes but there is a persistent cold start idle issue, she is stalling unless I give it a boot full of gas. Exhaust needs repair, aircon makes an evil noise (though still works), it's losing coolant veeeeery slowly but i need to top it up every 4 to 5 months and in general she is looking a bit tatty and beat up.

Replacement used, reliable vehicle with sub 30K miles is at least $20K or if new about $450 a month. I could drop that to about $325 a month but that would be a smaller vehicle without the same utility (Nissan Kicks).

So at those prices, do I just commit to the Saab wagon??? I am not mechanically inclined so what do you guys think of this list?

- Plugs
- Shocks
- All filters
- Coolant flush
- AT Tranny flush
- Other suspension components?
- Hoses, belts and rubber parts
- Fittings, nuts, bolts, brackets that have rusted out in engine bay and under the car
- Water pump
- Coils

Brakes were done not long ago.

Engine runs super strong outside of idle issue and transmission feels brand new. Concerned about the rusted parts, not the panels but the fittings etc, especially in the engine bay where it's looking really beat to ****.

Engine is the GM B207R 2T.

This link seems to show i need a new throttle body (idle) and water pump (coolant leak, though i never see coolant on the driveway)

https://eeuroparts.com/blog/10-saab-...mmon-problems/

Do you think it is worth the hassle given the lack of rust on the panels, the engine and tranny seem to be have a lot of life left and she is burning absolutely zero oil?? Where do you think the tipping point is if replacement is $20K? $5K? $7? $10K?

Value of the car is irrelevant here, what's important is replacement cost.

Thoughts, feelings, emotions?
Appreciate 0