View Single Post
      07-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #56
hoki06
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antgenn View Post
A friend of mine is a VP of the company that performs tests on all petroleum products on the East coast. Oil from the tankers, gasoline, jet fuel and so on. He once mentioned that Wawa gas is the most consistent in quality and the most close to the standards. Their lower rate gas is actually is a little bit higher on the octane number that is listed on the pump. And in general, there is no difference between brand names an no names.
I would fully believe that level of octane consistency coming from the refineries. I've seen similar consistency in my work with various base fuels in my region. Fuel within a region is generally the same, additives are not and that is the differentiator along with station/tank cleanliness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Don't care. I'll fill up at QuikTrip, Costco, BP, Shell, doesn't matter to me. It's generally the same shit. Splitting hairs over which is better 66, Chevron, or Exxon is a fool's errand. Everyone here is driving a commuter car, not a full blown track car with a built motor. Which premium fuel you run isn't as important as people in this thread are making it out to be.
You obviously have your own opinions and I'm not here to get into an internet debate but I have hands on experience with real engine/vehicle data that says you're wrong. Significant intake valve deposits and/or direct injector deposits that reduce fuel economy in every day commuter cars can occur in as little as 100 hours (roughly 4,000 miles) when using products containing the bare minimum EPA LAC fuel additives. Making consistent choices to purchase a quality product have proven results of keeping an engine cleaner and in better health while having a minimal financial impact (see the AAA study someone recently posted as one example). Do you think all engine, transmission, or gear oil is created equal? If you do, I've got news for you there as well...

People research the hell out of everything these days and choose premium products for a wide variety of reasons. For some reason people will drive across down just to save a couple pennies per gallon on an inferior product and I'll never understand that.
Appreciate 4
gjm1202184.50
cmyx6go15853.00
vreihen1615619.00