07-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #69
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
When I was younger, I used to think that people with mental health issues should just suck it up, tough it out, get over it, quit whining, act normal, grow up, accept responsibility, etc. I really didn't have much empathy.

Then one day not so long ago, I had a mental health episode. I was driving to a meeting and had an anxiety attack. I was fully prepared for the meeting and I had no expectation that it would go anything but great. But, my mind took over my body and I literally hung a U-turn and drove back home, called and cancelled the meeting. After years of slaying dragons in business, I was reduced to a mess with no control over the situation.

I'm fine now but that incident made me appreciate and have more empathy for for those who struggle. Sometimes just toughing it out, stepping up, etc, just isn't possible. In no way can I compare myself to Simone Biles. She is one in 7 billion and I am just another regular guy, but I'm pretty certain that if I can have a mental incident, its possible for anyone, including Ms. Biles.

If you've experienced a moment like mine, you fully understand. If you have not, its hard to imagine how your mind can take over your body. I hope you never have to experience it first hand.
Thanks for sharing that. Yes, just imagine someone that is in the global spotlight with expectations of perfection and anything less being considered a failure.

Many athletes have conditioned themselves to endure stuff that many humans cannot. There comes a breaking point and there's no way of knowing what triggers it. Perhaps years of pressure kept within like a pressure cooker. Throw in the stuff about sexual abuse, etc. it's just hard to imagine dealing with all of that.

Support Biles or not, at least she was a good teammate and cheered her team on enthusiastically.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11529.00