View Single Post
      06-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #2848
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

My tinnitus is somehow tied to the range of hearing loss I have. Upper freqs, so my ears ring (or whine) all the time at a high pitch like I just came out of a rock concert. The thing about ambient noise with me is crucial because any ambient noise at all makes my ears ring louder. I often sleep with earplugs if it's raining or windy at night because that noise makes them ring louder. Same with flying. I always have to wear earplugs on a flight. I rarely watch TV except for the occasional baseball game, and those I watch with the sound muted. So drowning out the ringing with more noise is not an option.

It was once explained to me that my tinnitus is similar to the phantom pain an amputee feels, even though the foot or limb that "hurts" is no longer there. It's just the brain making up for the loss of sensation from the missing nerves. With my tinnitus, it's my brain making up for the loss of the high frequency noise range. The louder the mid-level and lower frequency noise, the louder my tinnitus gets, as if my brain was trying to match the sound level of the real noise. This makes sense to me because I can clearly hear my ears ringing above any music, not matter how loud the music is playing.

I know there are programs that try to induce a noise that cancels out the range of one's tinnitus. I can't think of the term off the top of my head, but basically it's an inverse frequency. It supposedly takes a fair amount of time to dial in the correct frequency. Trial and error, as it were.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0