View Single Post
      09-05-2020, 06:56 AM   #15
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

I thought I'd write a quick update as to what is happening with this project.

Firstly the ICOM, well I've not got around to using it yet for a couple of reasons... 1, I've simply not had the time (other non-Z4 projects are in the way at the moment) and 2, they supplied it to me without the main cable!! This has (apparently) been sent to me but has not yet arrived. I won't be recommending the supplier in this case as it's like platting snot in all communications with them..... bloody hard work!

Right on with the install. OK, on the whole it is working perfectly, but with the odd bug here and there, namely sometimes the screen doesn't come up immediately and sometimes it'll stay on after I've taken the key out, but will close and switch off after a minute or two. Not really sure why it's doing this, but will give it a good looking at once the ICOM is fully working.
Also on the same note I took it into BMW for a paint repair on my roof last month. Because I have a SmartTop module fitted I thought it was best to disable the unit while they were to work on the roof. This is achievable by a simple setting with a PC to the SmartTop box. Once I'd done this I noticed that the iDrive screen wasn't working properly and was very intermittent as to whether it would open or not. Once I had the car back and reactivated the SmartTop it went back to normal! Absolutely no idea as to why it would do this as they are not connected in any way.

As for the MMI box, it's working fine, a couple of minor glitches now and again but I think this has more to do with bad phone signal and Apple Music's shite system than the box itself. Looking forward to a new phone contract with a better provider than Three as the signal around these parts is utter crap most of the time, alas will have to wait until next June though

Upgrades...... Once I get the Bluetooth working on the MULF I now have a Combox so may see if I can upgrade to that just so I have the full benefit of connections (not that I need them!).

OK that's it for now, more stuff coming soon

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0