View Single Post
      06-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
Kristopher
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
This is NOT something you want to tackle with limited knowledge. It can certainly be done in your garage, but not unless you are really confident/experienced. Your front subframe needs to come out, which means you need to support the engine from above. You'll also need quite a few tools that your average mechanic won't have in the garage. I've been stocking up on tools for this eventual replacement myself and I practiced by helping my step-son replace the clutch in his Civic which also required subframe removal. I feel confident to attempt the oil pan gasket now, but it doesn't sound like you are ready.

The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is gain experience. Help a buddy do a complicated repair on a car that's not yours. There's no pressure on you and you'll learn how to cope with problems as they arise. We spent about 1.5 hours trying to align his Civic's output shaft with the transmission. We didn't lose our cool and eventually found a way to get the right angle on it. That kind of experience is what you need to feel confident tackling something like the oil pan gasket replacement.
Gotcha I didn't realize it was that much work, I'll heed Your advice and just take it to a professional.
Appreciate 0