View Single Post
      04-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #22
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Yes this is normal, well for me anyway. It all depends on the position and the field. If your job requires a government clearance, then it's standard procedure (they also pull your credit, which is the number one reason people are denied clearance).

I work in finance so it's also standard procedure to pull your criminal record as well as your credit report. Since you work with confidential information (particularly if the company is public), your credit report is a decent indicator if you'll break the law in order to make money. With the government, they're concerned if you'll sell government secrets for money. In addition to those factors, it's also a good indicator of how responsible you are.

They'll also pull it just to make sure you don't have any felonies on your record, which would typically eliminate you from contention for the position. If you have a history of driving infractions, you should be ok, unless as stated, you'll be driving company vehicles on a frequent basis as you'd be a liability risk.

That said, congrats on the offer. I'd imagine you'll be fine as far as the background goes. It sounds like you'll be responsible for arranging your own travel so your driving record shouldn't be a big deal, nobody's perfect after all.
Appreciate 0