10-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #22
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-z4 View Post
HERRK:
Thanks for your post. I read with interest as I damaged the under side of my bumper cover and I'm thinking of removing for repair and painting. How difficult is it to remove the bumper cover? Is it as simple as removing the screws across the top, bottom and in the front of the wheel wells? Do you have other pictures of the bumper cover removed that show connecting points?
Finally, as the bumper cover was painted off the car, was there any trouble in the paint matching the car?
Thanks of sharing info.
It's not difficult to remove the cover, but not as simpe as you state. Look at the following RealOEM diagrams under "Vehicle Trim"

a. Wheelarch Trim
b. Underhood Shield
c. Frt Bumper Trim Panel

1. You have to put the car up on a jack or jack stands - both frt wheels.
2. Remove the frt wheels.
3. Remove the frt engine tray cover. (BMW call this "Engine Encapulation, frt" on real OEM diagrams). 18 or 19 small hex head screws (all the "small screws" mentioned - require an 8mm socket).
4. Remove the left & right frt air dams (BMW calls these "Covering" - Item #2 on "a"). 3 small screws ea
5. Remove the left & right frt wheel well liner. 3 screws and 2 plastic nuts ea (10 mm hex head). The ambient temp sensor is installed in the left frt wheel well liner (center of photo). Just disconnect the plug and leave the sensor installed in the liner.

Once all these plastic parts are out of the way it is fairly simple, not that any of this cover removal is difficult, just takes time.

Now it is simple.

6. Under the hood. Remove the Frt hood gasket which covers the 7 'Torx" (Size 30) screws.

7. Remove 6 of the 7 Torx screws on top. I loosened but did not remove the center screw to keep the cover in place.

8. Inside the left & right wheel well there are 3 small screws on each side near the reflector. These are the screws that control the adjustment of the "gap" between the hood and bumper cover. Remove the screws.

9. Hold on to the bumper cover and remove the final "Torx" screw under the hood. Note the cover will not just fall off. Let it droop down and gently pull it off.

Paint matched fine.

Wil post more pics later.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0