View Single Post
      02-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #16
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

I found it quite interesting that Gretag is phasing out wet automatic dual clutch sequential manual gearbox (DCT) in favor of dry clutch solenoid operated units. This will certainly bring down the unit cost and repair costs substancially.

DCT's are certainly not automatic transmissions - they are however automatic clutches. So the manual purist just "automatically" give them that AT designation. I really don't understand why people get all twisted us about the terminology. Drive what you like. The campaign is to "Save the Manuals" not necessarily referring to only the transmission.

When I bought my first BMW MC in 1977 it was the first year that they eliminated the kick starter capability. I remember asking the salesman about the wisdom of this. His reply was "They don't put cranks on cars anymore do they?" Remember "transistor" radios as opposed to vacuum tube radios. For the most part we resist change. Change I can deal with as long as I have options.

But I digress. If I were racing and the "class" or "formula" rules allowed use of the auto clutches you would be brain dead to try and compete a MT -vs- a DCT type. That said, although I appreciate the technology and am all for the development and use of the DCT for mass transportation. I wish that all racing leagues/organizations would ban the auto clutches. The occasional money shift is just another factor to separate the losers from the winner, and makes the racing all the more interesting.

In closing, since I am off on a tangent and rambling around anyways, I hope that government regulators and automakers will put an EMI net in cars that will interfere with all cellular device usage while the vehicle is running. Maybe people would get back to the "Joy of Driving Responsively" as opposed to the poor operating habits most have acquired, thanks to all the modern conveniences.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0