View Single Post
      08-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #17
mike0804
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 3.5is

Garage List
I can't say whether or not the 35is makes a good value proposition compared to the 35i. I will say it would be a challenge to justify an extra $9k over the 35i, simply because the 35i is so good. The 35is is significantly faster, but whether or not one thinks it's $9k faster is an individual call. In my case, the deal was simply too good to pass up - I got the 35is for about the same money as others have paid for the 35i, and slightly *less* than a well-equipped 3-series 335i convertible, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Now this ongoing debate over which transmission is better won't be settled here. This is a *very* controversial subject, and if we stay on this too long, it will probably get heated. But for what it's worth, I'll throw in my $0.02: This from someone who has spent the best part of 3 decades driving manual transmission cars and loving them. I'm one of those people who thinks a torque converter automatic in a Corvette is an abomination. I love everything about the way the clutch feels under my foot and the shifter in my hand. I love the mechanical music that is played every time a well-executed shift is done. I revel in the ballet of hand-eye-ear-foot coordination that comes into play with every gear change. I can heel-toe with the best of them. I can nail a manually rev-matched downshift every time, without a lot of thought (you younger drivers out there take note: a skilled driver doesn't need a computer and bunch of electronic b/s to do a decent rev-match downshift, it just ain't that hard if you've got the skills). Merely the thought of driving one of my manual transmission cars makes grin like a silly kid. I just love everything about them. And in spite of all that, I'm here to tell you the 7-DCT in my Z4 35is is about the best transmission I've ever experienced. There is a reason they put these in the new 458 Italia, the Porsche 911 Turbo/Turbo S, the GT-R, the new F10 M5 and others. Double-clutch technology and its widespread deployment in modern sports cars is, in my opinion, one of the most significant developments we have seen in the performance car arena in a very long time. My 7-DCT is an absolute joy, and I am rapidly approaching the point where I may actually prefer it over a traditional manual. It's *that* good.

Michael

Last edited by mike0804; 08-21-2011 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0