New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
VailM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Cobb vs ESS

So I have done some searchs and reading. Seems that Cobb was suffering a year or so ago as there was errors with cars with DCT. Havent ever heard of any horror stories from ESS, besides that its a brick once you are done with it unlike the COBB.

So which to chose they are both about the same price but one has value after you use it while the other is pull the trigger and done. COBB (at least by video, seems far easier to install)

on the fence on these two mods.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
27
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

I use Cobb on my 135i for 2 years with zero problems and for 6 months on my DCT Z4 with zero problems. Also, all of their tunes are free where as ESS charges you for all of their tunes. Get Cobb and you will be very happy with the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Asbjorn
Captain
Asbjorn's Avatar
China
11
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: ESS twin-turbo roadster (E89)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: European in China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
I use Cobb on my 135i for 2 years with zero problems and for 6 months on my DCT Z4 with zero problems. Also, all of their tunes are free where as ESS charges you for all of their tunes. Get Cobb and you will be very happy with the results.
I never modified things on my car calling for this, but I believe ESS offers custom maps free of charge as well? I remember reading so on their website. Of course if you buy a new car, then that is a different case.

More info of rather low quality here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850011

Here is also a link to a comparison made by mpbruin108!

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818845

BTW my general opinion is this: You will get a high quality tuning product from any tuning company that also offers engine/throttle response and perhaps DCT optimization. Because if they can make optimizations in these areas, then they probably know what they are doing. And to such tuning companies, simply increasing boost targets and HP should be the easiest part.

I wouldn't be too concerned with who is spending more on marketing/fancy websites or choosing the right pricing strategy. The best engineers are sometimes the worst business people.

Finally it is also worth following this open source project to learn more about what a software tuning product actually is, and what you pay for:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=828601
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
VailM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Seems that most of those threads are leaning me towards the COBB. Unless I am missing something seems like there is no reason to go ess over cobb unless you like a 1000 dollar brick
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Moo
Gold Member
Moo's Avatar
No_Country
17
Rep
468
Posts

Drives: PSYWGN
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Studio 69

iTrader: (0)

Does ESS allow you to uninstall and resell?

As for Cobb, I believe you can "unmarry" the tune and then sell it or put it on another car.

That'd be a big factor, if someone were looking at these tunes.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
VailM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Does ESS allow you to uninstall and resell?

As for Cobb, I believe you can "unmarry" the tune and then sell it or put it on another car.

That'd be a big factor, if someone were looking at these tunes.
Nope, once you install the software the devise is married to that cars vin forever basically becoming a paperweight.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
nicknaz
Brigadier General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
4,824
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
As for Cobb, I believe you can "unmarry" the tune and then sell it or put it on another car.
Yes that's correct.

I spoke with someone at Cobb the other day and that person told me that the Accessport takes an "exact snapshot" of the ECU so that when the Accessport is uninstalled it will bring the ECU back "exactly the way it was before the installation"

The Cobb site is also very clear on the fact that you can resell an uninstalled Accessport.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
27
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Yes that's correct.

I spoke with someone at Cobb the other day and that person told me that the Accessport takes an "exact snapshot" of the ECU so that when the Accessport is uninstalled it will bring the ECU back "exactly the way it was before the installation"

The Cobb site is also very clear on the fact that you can resell an uninstalled Accessport.
Yep, I just did this. I totaled my 135i and bought at Z435i. I unmarried my Cobb from my 135i and installed it on my Z4. My DME was not a recognized ROM with Cobb so they had to update my DME version but once that was done it worked great. I have not had any problems with the DCT and I have been running the Stage 2 tune.

I used ESS in the past on a M3 and I do believe that they know the BMW product very well. However, their product is very inferior to the Accessport and I would never buy something that I could not resale.

Also, you have to pay for every tune that ESS has and you can use any of Cobb's tune for free.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
nicknaz
Brigadier General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
4,824
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

lamboworld, do you have any experience withe the Stage 1 COBB 91 sport map vs. the 91 aggressive map, or did you go straight to full bolt ons + FMIC ?

trying to figure out how much power loss there is between the maps. my understanding is that it is about 10whp peak and the high end before redline is more conservative with the sport
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
27
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
lamboworld, do you have any experience withe the Stage 1 COBB 91 sport map vs. the 91 aggressive map, or did you go straight to full bolt ons + FMIC ?

trying to figure out how much power loss there is between the maps. my understanding is that it is about 10whp peak and the high end before redline is more conservative with the sport
This should answer your question:

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu...Accessport.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
nicknaz
Brigadier General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
4,824
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

thanks! interesting they claim less gains than jb4
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
27
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
thanks! interesting they claim less gains than jb4
Maybe but the Cobb is so much more driveable than JB4. I also raced other N54 JB4 cars at the dragstrip with similar mods and I never lost. Only lost to N54 cars running Meth and at 19psi.

Here is my Dyno from my 135i. With the Cobb E30 race map it would probably put down 400rwhp and 440tq. An upgraded suspension is a must if you are going to put this type of power on the Z4.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 135i Dyno June 15 2012.pdf (895.8 KB, 96 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Hujan
Colonel
United_States
44
Rep
2,351
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
Maybe but the Cobb is so much more driveable than JB4. I also raced other N54 JB4 cars at the dragstrip with similar mods and I never lost. Only lost to N54 cars running Meth and at 19psi.

Here is my Dyno from my 135i. With the Cobb E30 race map it would probably put down 400rwhp and 440tq. An upgraded suspension is a must if you are going to put this type of power on the Z4.
KW v3?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
27
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
KW v3?
Yep. I have KWV3's on my Z4 and love them.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #15
Moo
Gold Member
Moo's Avatar
No_Country
17
Rep
468
Posts

Drives: PSYWGN
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Studio 69

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboworld View Post
Interesting power difference between manual vs. automatic transmission. My presumption is they used a non-DCT automatic for comparison; I wonder how the results will differ between manual vs. DCT?

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
nicknaz
Brigadier General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
4,824
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

user can put whatever map they want. My understanding is that many are fine using the "aggressive" 93 octane map on their N54 DCT car

BTW, OP, you should be prepared for some back and forth due to newer ECU version if you have a newer car.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #17
VailM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
user can put whatever map they want. My understanding is that many are fine using the "aggressive" 93 octane map on their N54 DCT car

BTW, OP, you should be prepared for some back and forth due to newer ECU version if you have a newer car.
Thanks, I wonder how much power a coob will extract out of a 35is without any other mods.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:27 AM   #18
nicknaz
Brigadier General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
4,824
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
Thanks, I wonder how much power a coob will extract out of a 35is without any other mods.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-N54-Ac...wer-gains-z4is

their website is suggesting gains of 8%HP and 6% TQ for the otherwise stock 35is (i.e. stage 1)

http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-N54-Ac...ower-gains-z4i

Seems like its more worth it for 35i.... 30%HP and 38% TQ stage 1 gains

No values in the Y axis but seems like 35i and 35is become pretty similar at "stage 1"
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #19
VailM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-N54-Ac...wer-gains-z4is

their website is suggesting gains of 8%HP and 6% TQ for the otherwise stock 35is (i.e. stage 1)

http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-N54-Ac...ower-gains-z4i

Seems like its more worth it for 35i.... 30%HP and 38% TQ stage 1 gains

No values in the Y axis but seems like 35i and 35is become pretty similar at "stage 1"
Seems that is how i read it too...8% and 6%, isnt bad but I was expecting quite a bit more, the stage 2 wont be usable for a stock 35is as no plans on a front mounted inter cooler. My question is why isnt there a spot between the stage 1 and 2 8/6 vs 31/21
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #20
VailM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
Seems that is how i read it too...8% and 6%, isnt bad but I was expecting quite a bit more, the stage 2 wont be usable for a stock 35is as no plans on a front mounted inter cooler. My question is why isnt there a spot between the stage 1 and 2 8/6 vs 31/21
well I bit the bullet and picked up a cobb today...will update once I get it. Also picked up a smart top too..with summer its become a drag holding that button.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #21
nicknaz
Brigadier General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
127
Rep
4,824
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

make sure you data log at first to ensure all is good and there is no detonation with the more aggressive boost and timing

enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #22
VailM3
Lieutenant
10
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Just to update. I have had my cobb Stage 1 aggressive on the 35is now for 2 weeks (no highway drive just yet)

Install: Overall it was as idiot proof as possible. There was a snag due to EU vin that had to get reset on my unit but that took a just a couple day to sort out. Afterwords it really was a plug and play. On a note it really does take about 12-14 minutes to complete so prepare to hang out in your car a while.

Experience: The two most noticeable things are the response and torque. Having it in Linear mode the engine acts more of an NA engine than a Turbo engine. You can feather the throttle and know the amount of power you are about to extract without this sudden shock of boost kicking in.

Torque. Now that the overboost function is on (depressing the gas pedal no longer increase the power, it only drops to the lower gear available relative to road speed) the 35is motor produce a mountain of torque that was never available till you floored it. having 400 foot pounds on tap without flooring changes the entire car.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 PM.




zpost
zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST