New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
nickm9
Private First Class
 
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

Cracked 326 M Sport Alloy Wheels

Well, 18 months ago, I swapped my 296 alloys for some 326 M Sport alloy wheels. The dealer swapped 2 under warranty, BMW HQ paid for one and I paid for one.

Shortly after getting them I had a cracked alloy wheel to the rear, which was a shock, but was changed under warranty. Now 18 months later, I had two new rear tyres last week, and no signs of cracks. 10 days later, car was in for a service, and guess what.....rear off side wheel has a very thin crack.

Thankfully it was changed under warranty.....so moral of the story is, it isn't just 296 wheels that crack!!!
nickm9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
 
Dr Stig 2's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Demon!
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
THanks Nick.
I'll have to take mine in to check before my warranties run out in July.

__________________

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Dr Stig 2 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Wraith.
Captain
 
Wraith.'s Avatar
 
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle

Posts: 788
iTrader: (0)

Interesting, mine look great. I have an extra 326M if you run into warranty issues.
Wraith. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
nickm9
Private First Class
 
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

Shipping it to London would be the cost of the wheel itself!!! I would have bought it off of you if nearer!!
nickm9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Wraith.
Captain
 
Wraith.'s Avatar
 
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle

Posts: 788
iTrader: (0)

ahh.. good point
Wraith. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Putzo
Newb
 
Putzo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm9 View Post
Well, 18 months ago, I swapped my 296 alloys for some 326 M Sport alloy wheels. The dealer swapped 2 under warranty, BMW HQ paid for one and I paid for one.

Shortly after getting them I had a cracked alloy wheel to the rear, which was a shock, but was changed under warranty. Now 18 months later, I had two new rear tyres last week, and no signs of cracks. 10 days later, car was in for a service, and guess what.....rear off side wheel has a very thin crack.

Thankfully it was changed under warranty.....so moral of the story is, it isn't just 296 wheels that crack!!!
As someone who has suffered from both a cracked 19" 230 rim and extreme, premature inner shoulder wear to all four tires requiring that they be replaced (with 50-60% tread remaining) on my 335i, reading this makes me both nervous and unhappy. I had wheel/tire warranty on the 335i, but do not on the new Z4 (with 326M rims). When I bought the wheel/tire warranty for the 335i, it was reasonably-priced. Now it has become almost cost-prohibitive, unless you operate under the assumption that something bad WILL happen, rather than MIGHT happen.

Not buying the warranty this time around means I have more than enough money in the bank to replace one rim and one tire (if needs be). If there are multiple incidents, then I will be wishing I'd bought the coverage. Time will tell. I'm not hard on my cars and typically drive them less than 5,000 km per year, but I hope to have this one for a while.
__________________
Putzo
Current: 2012 E89 Z4 35is
Previous: 2008 E92 335i Coupe, 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec.B, 1993 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo AWD, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO
Putzo is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
nickm9
Private First Class
 
Drives: E89 Z4 35i - Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: London

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

But the alloys will certainly be covered by warranty if they crack. Just be sure to check them regularly
nickm9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
nicknaz
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2012 Z4 35i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 3,734
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzo View Post
premature inner shoulder wear to all four tires requiring that they be replaced (with 50-60% tread remaining)

...

I'm not hard on my cars and typically drive them less than 5,000 km per year, but I hope to have this one for a while.
High correlation between those statements.. Sort of like sport bike riders who wear the center of the tire but not the edges (too much riding in a straight line, and too little time leaned over)
nicknaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Putzo
Newb
 
Putzo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
High correlation between those statements.. Sort of like sport bike riders who wear the center of the tire but not the edges (too much riding in a straight line, and too little time leaned over)
The wear issue was not covered by warranty because it was deemed to be negligence by the underwriter. It seems the alignment was BADLY out. I purchased the vehicle as a Certified Series pre-owned from the dealer, so there were "discussions" about who was going to be responsible for this. In the end, I was out of pocket for four new tires, but the dealer performed the mount, balance and installation at their cost. I also resolved to do a wheel alignment once a year, regardless of how much the vehicle was driven - AFTER being told by my service rep that all BMWs are laughably easy to throw out of alignment.
__________________
Putzo
Current: 2012 E89 Z4 35is
Previous: 2008 E92 335i Coupe, 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec.B, 1993 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo AWD, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO
Putzo is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
nicknaz
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2012 Z4 35i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 3,734
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putzo View Post
The wear issue was not covered by warranty because it was deemed to be negligence by the underwriter. It seems the alignment was BADLY out. I purchased the vehicle as a Certified Series pre-owned from the dealer, so there were "discussions" about who was going to be responsible for this. In the end, I was out of pocket for four new tires, but the dealer performed the mount, balance and installation at their cost. I also resolved to do a wheel alignment once a year, regardless of how much the vehicle was driven - AFTER being told by my service rep that all BMWs are laughably easy to throw out of alignment.
From one of our older threads, here is the factory tolerance for our E89 rear suspension

Camber: -1.9 to -2.8 deg
Toe: .05 deg to .25 deg.

Some on our forum argue that this is "too much" negative camber because it will cause the wear pattern you described even if the car is aligned within the factory tolerance.

I was teasing that you didn't corner your car hard enough to even out the tire wear

Also, if the "misalignment" was zero or slightly negative toe in the rear, that was likely a previous owner trying to dial in a little more instability to help the car rotate faster, at the expense of a bit more tire wear when going in a straight line.
nicknaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Putzo
Newb
 
Putzo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35is
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Interesting.

Thanks for your comments!
__________________
Putzo
Current: 2012 E89 Z4 35is
Previous: 2008 E92 335i Coupe, 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec.B, 1993 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo AWD, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO
Putzo is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #12
VailM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Geneva Switzerland

Posts: 529
iTrader: (0)

had my Z4 delivered today finally, hit a pothole as it was raining and completely covered and left side (Both wheels) suspension bottemed out. I was only going about 35MPH or so. 326 rims are fine but does the suspension bottom out like that often on a pothole? 1st day of the car here for the 35iS. wasnt a pleasant feeling at all.
VailM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST