New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
BMW665
Enlisted Member

Drives: Z4 e89

skip shift Option . any way to turn off?

I'm new to my 3.5 Manual shift Z4 . I noticed the shift indicator was not showing the gear I was in. I started to research what this indicator was and found it is the skip shift option which tells you what gear to be in for the best fuel economy. seems to be a stupid feature as I'm in 3rd at 3k rpm and its telling me to shift to 5th. I guess it wants me to stay at 1k rpm. Anyone know how to turn this capability off?

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...indicator.html
      01-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
HerrK
Lieutenant

Drives: 011 Z4 35i, 04 R1150RT

With key in ignition (or in you pocket with Comfort Access) don't depress the clutch, now push the start button twice to light up the displays (ignition on). You can also start the car if you like. Press and hold the BC button on the end of the turn signal stalk for 2-3 seconds. The up/down shift display will turn off. Push and hold the BC button, again for 2-3 seconds, to turn the up/down shift display turn back on. This is only applicable for a 6 speed manual transmission (one that has a clutch pedal) not applicable to 7 speed DCT's which some people think are also manual transmissions.

HerrK - "It doesn't feel like a pair of turbo chargers. It feels like a pair of TESTIES!! BIG MEATY ONES!" - Jeremy Clarkson on the N54 powered Z4
May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l Nav
      01-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #3
ManiacGT
Major

Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Send a message via MSN to ManiacGT
Lol @ stupid option. It's to help you save fuel. Not silly at all.
      01-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
mbetoni
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 Z435is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Lol @ stupid option. It's to help you save fuel. Not silly at all.
You know, I appreciate that you wrote this. When I read the OP's post, I also immediately thought that sounded like a stupid option. It's something I'd def turn off if I had the manual tranny.

However, after reading your post, I realize that's a view born of my perspective. I grumble when gas is over $4.00 a gallon, which it is regularly here in Chicago, and that's even though I probably fill my tank twice a month during my driving season for that car (warmer months). Your post reminded me just how spoiled we still are here in the States w/ gas prices.
      01-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
jparnes1
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 525xi, 2012 Z4 35i

Most people who drive this car are more interested in performance than mpg. It's a sports car after all. OP the best way to turn off the shift option is to set the suspension to sport mode. The shift option disappears and you'll have better driving car to boot.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, ///M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA, LED Angel Eyes, red calipers, pedal covers, stubby antenna.
jparnes1 is online now   No_Country
      01-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #6
BMW665
Enlisted Member

Drives: Z4 e89

thanks for the help and comments. I agree, its a sports car so why have it. when coming home I tried to follow what it was telling me. I was in 3rd at 3k rpm and it wanted me to put it into 6th. that would be dangerous and on top of it lugs the engine.