New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Zteve
Enlisted Member
United_States
6
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Z4 sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Broken Axle

Took my Z to the drag strip today, snapped my driver side rear axle. Anyone know if our axles are the same as any other BMW models? Or does anyone know of stronger aftermarket axles?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #2
BQTuning
bq@bqtuning.com
BQTuning's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
4,304
Posts

Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bq@bqtuning.com

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zteve View Post
Took my Z to the drag strip today, snapped my driver side rear axle. Anyone know if our axles are the same as any other BMW models? Or does anyone know of stronger aftermarket axles?

Thanks in advance
Are you sure you broke the axle or was it the drive shaft bearing to the diff ?

99.99% of the time its the drive shaft bearing that connects to the diff.

Here is my post on it

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056762

I breaks due to wheel hop
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #3
Zteve
Enlisted Member
United_States
6
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Z4 sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQTuning View Post
Are you sure you broke the axle or was it the drive shaft bearing to the diff ?

99.99% of the time its the drive shaft bearing that connects to the diff.

Here is my post on it

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056762

I breaks due to wheel hop
Thanks BQ!

I wonder if that bearing is also a weak point on the 6sp drive shaft?

I got it towed to a dealer and they got back to me today that the axle splines are twisted where it goes into the diff. I'm hoping that is the only problem, but they said they won't know until the new axle gets here from Germany...

I'm the guy who just had you do a 91 tune for me since I couldn't find 93 where I was at.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
BQTuning
bq@bqtuning.com
BQTuning's Avatar
United_States
64
Rep
4,304
Posts

Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bq@bqtuning.com

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zteve View Post
Thanks BQ!

I wonder if that bearing is also a weak point on the 6sp drive shaft?

I got it towed to a dealer and they got back to me today that the axle splines are twisted where it goes into the diff. I'm hoping that is the only problem, but they said they won't know until the new axle gets here from Germany...

I'm the guy who just had you do a 91 tune for me since I couldn't find 93 where I was at.
The E89 Z4 does not have a torque converter regardless if your 6MT or DCT.

Here is a thread I made about the issue which also applies to the Z4 http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1056762
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
Zteve
Enlisted Member
United_States
6
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Z4 sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Axle replaced, problem solved, running great now. These are the splines that got messed up. This is the end of the axle that goes into the diff.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
2011z435is
Private First Class
United_States
27
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: 2011 z4 sdrive35is
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: cleveland

iTrader: (0)

How much power are you making and how did you launch the car when this happened?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
Zteve
Enlisted Member
United_States
6
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: Z4 sdrive35i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011z435is View Post
How much power are you making and how did you launch the car when this happened?
I haven't dyno'd yet on this tune, but I'm guessing around 400 at the wheels.
The launch was a dump from 3-4000 RPM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.




zpost
zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST