New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
|2ed
Private
 
Drives: 135i N55
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SG

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Advice on swapping 135i for Z4 35i!!

Hey guys, I got a 135i N55 Dct with JB3, catless DP, injen intake and Ast4100 coilover.

I must admit this 135i is fun to drive now, much better than stock in terms of handling, sound and power. The only thing putting me off this car is it's looks. It is just too cute.. Only option may be to go for widebody.

But now, I got a chance to swap this car probably at a little loss for the Z4 35i. Can you guys share how is the handling and feel of the car? Especially those of you who have driven both or modded both of these cars.

Thanks.
|2ed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
jpd
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Alpine White 135
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 572
iTrader: (0)

Little modding of new Z4 due to small number of cars that have been purchased in the USA. You claim a little loss? Sounds like you have 2011 expect 20-25% loss due to depreciation unless you pull off the deal of the century.
jpd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
 
Constant.S's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54) Porsche 997 4S
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Greece/Canada

Posts: 607
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Constant.S Send a message via Skype™ to Constant.S
The Z is oriented towards sportier handling and better weight balance (especially with the top down). By definition, being a Roadster, means that "in papers" it is a better handling car, maybe thats the reason that they made the GT3 version based on this car. I have driven the 135 and only by comparing driving positions i would lean towards the Z, but then again everyone who owns the Z, including me, would be biased.
Ok, ill just put it this way... Stock VS stock, i used to smoke 135/335's in 400 meter runs (1/4 mile) and quite frankly the Z is a much more beautiful car, but in the end you need to decide if you can live with a strictly two seater.

-C
__________________
An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises.
Constant.S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
|2ed
Private
 
Drives: 135i N55
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SG

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Yes, at a little loss because there are 3 different taxes in Singapore when u purchase a car. Prices are escalating after I ordered the 135i.

What about the feel of the steering and handling? This is my main concern.

Thanks.
|2ed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
|2ed
Private
 
Drives: 135i N55
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SG

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Reviews have pointed the lack of steering feel of the Z4. Cornering is not as good as what many has expected. Do u guys experience that?
|2ed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
a75787695
Registered
 
Drives: 2011 e89 z4 sdrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: california

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

just turn (dct map switch OFF) i have same problem! or update map and firmware.this is vishnu tell me!>>>>(Ok you have a couple options here. I need you to reload firmware and maps and start from scratch.

here is how to upload maps and firmware: http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54/howto/howto.html

here is the latest maps and firmware file for download: http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54...downloads.html

You will use the 6-14 maps.


Regards,
Robert@Vishnu

Quoting :

> I set my procede v5 to map 1, but when i re-start the engine, it will automatically change it to map 2 or map 3, and my friend told me it must be something wrong, and he said when the procede v5 change it to the map 2 for auto-tune, it will erase my previous map 1 memory, how can i fix this problem? )
a75787695 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
ridin135
Colonel
 
Drives: 991 C2S
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenville

Posts: 2,207
iTrader: (7)

I had a fully modded 135 though mine was an n54 but in any regards the z is better in every aspect. It doesn't feel like I am driving around in pikachu anymore. Especially for you coming from the n55 the n54 has a lot more headroom with the stock turbos.
ridin135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 11:41 PM   #8
tkmloh
New Member
 
Drives: Z4 s35is
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by |2ed View Post
Yes, at a little loss because there are 3 different taxes in Singapore when u purchase a car. Prices are escalating after I ordered the 135i.

What about the feel of the steering and handling? This is my main concern.

Thanks.
Hi,
Z4 handling is tight and good at speed below 200km/h. If you go beyond that with stock suspensions even with EDC settings at sport+, you might experience 'floaty and unstable' feel in the front end.
Look-wise, Z4 is a handsome car bar-none. The 135i looks sort of like an obese juvenile.
E85 Z4 handles better at higher speed, however extremely uncomfortable at low speed with stock suspensions.
Cheers!
tkmloh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
tkmloh
New Member
 
Drives: Z4 s35is
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by |2ed View Post
Reviews have pointed the lack of steering feel of the Z4. Cornering is not as good as what many has expected. Do u guys experience that?
I would agree to a certain extent the lack of steering feel compared to perhaps the E92, which has a very balanced feel. However, you would get used to it pretty soon with the nippy feel of the Z4.
Cornering on legal street is decent enough unless you're hitting the track or attempting a 80km/h 90 degrees turn in.
Why don't you arrange a test-run with the dealer?
Cheers!
tkmloh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 05:10 AM   #10
|2ed
Private
 
Drives: 135i N55
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SG

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Guys. Thanks for sharing your feedback. Engine wise, there is alot of potential and im not worried given the aftermarket parts.. I'm willing to change some suspension parts to make the car feel even better.. That is why I'm seeking some opinions of the stock handling of the Z4 to find out the potential of making the car a better ride.
|2ed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
|2ed
Private
 
Drives: 135i N55
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SG

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmloh View Post
I would agree to a certain extent the lack of steering feel compared to perhaps the E92, which has a very balanced feel. However, you would get used to it pretty soon with the nippy feel of the Z4.
Cornering on legal street is decent enough unless you're hitting the track or attempting a 80km/h 90 degrees turn in.
Why don't you arrange a test-run with the dealer?
Cheers!
Hey buddy, you got yours from PML??

35is is based on N54? Called up the sales and they told me is N55...
|2ed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
|2ed
Private
 
Drives: 135i N55
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SG

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
I had a fully modded 135 though mine was an n54 but in any regards the z is better in every aspect. It doesn't feel like I am driving around in pikachu anymore. Especially for you coming from the n55 the n54 has a lot more headroom with the stock turbos.
Lol... i like the 'pikachu' description. It just looks weird especially from far in the front...
|2ed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
tkmloh
New Member
 
Drives: Z4 s35is
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by |2ed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmloh View Post
I would agree to a certain extent the lack of steering feel compared to perhaps the E92, which has a very balanced feel. However, you would get used to it pretty soon with the nippy feel of the Z4.
Cornering on legal street is decent enough unless you're hitting the track or attempting a 80km/h 90 degrees turn in.
Why don't you arrange a test-run with the dealer?
Cheers!
Hey buddy, you got yours from PML??

35is is based on N54? Called up the sales and they told me is N55...
Hi,
Yes I bought mine from PML. The s35is is based on the N54. In fact it's running same boost as the 1M. My suggestion to you is not to spend too much money on aftermarket suspensions like the KW's as it would not necessary make a BIG difference. Just JB4 and you'd be on your way.
Cheers!

Last edited by tkmloh; 07-26-2011 at 08:45 AM.
tkmloh is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
ridin135
Colonel
 
Drives: 991 C2S
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenville

Posts: 2,207
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmloh View Post
Hi,
Yes I bought mine from PML. The s35is is based on the N54. In fact it's running same boost as the 1M. My suggestion to you is not to spend too much money on aftermarket suspensions like the KW's as it would not necessary make a BIG difference. Just JB4 and you'd be on your way.
Cheers!
+1
ridin135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
Alext
Colonel
 
Drives: B M W
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Everest

Posts: 2,005
iTrader: (2)

I had a 135i and found a massive difference (justifying the price difference) between it and my Z4 35is.

See my review with search for more details.

Basically the 35is corners flatter, is significantly quicker in a straight line(faster than a 1M even) and just feels much more composed. Ride is superior even with 19inchers. There is some guy that posted a vid on youtube vs a Ferrari California...35i+JB4 jumps ahead with launch control up until about 100km/h I think. I have not tried LC yet.

DCT is FANTASTIC. Sounds F1-ish.

You can, however, feel its heavier weight. It is not as nimble as say a MX5/Miata/Elise. More a cruiser and bruiser than a scalpel of a car.
Alext is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
kvport
New Member
 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: socal

Posts: 21
iTrader: (1)

I had an N54 135i and now how 35i Z4. As far as handling goes the 135 had much better steering feel and was a stiffer car overall. The Z4 is softer and more floaty then the 1.

With that being said it felt just fine at 160mph on the autobahn when I did ED.

My Z has ivory extended leather and the look and feel of the interior is much nicer then the 1 series.

The transmission on the Z seems to be geared a little different and the exhaust sounds much louder and deeper than the 1.

For 20 bucks a month less than my 1 135, the Z is a clear winner.
kvport is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2011, 02:53 AM   #17
Alext
Colonel
 
Drives: B M W
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Everest

Posts: 2,005
iTrader: (2)

I was a bit nervous about the handling of the Z4 having never driven one before purchase (my 4th guy bought without driving!), especially after reading some negative reviews of the 35i.

Maybe it's the recalibrated steering/suspension of my 35is but it feels significantly more stable than my N54 135i ever was. And it certainly doesnt feel floaty at high speed - it is much more confidence inspiring and buttoned down than the 135i on the highway. Much more solid. Apart from the smoothness of the DCT it was one of the first things I noticed.
Alext is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST