New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
integraworks
Private
 
integraworks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

ESS Tune - Stage 2 Installed - WOW

Just installed ESS Tuning's ECU modification (Stage 2) and all I can say is WOW. This is a totally different car now. The take off speed, roll on speed and great exhaust notes are only surpassed by the sheer exhilaration of driving the car. Well done ESS!

http://www.esstuning.com/categories/...%252dDrive35i/
integraworks is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
uslic001
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2009 s35i Z4
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
Just installed ESS Tuning's ECU modification (Stage 2) and all I can say is WOW. This is a totally different car now. The take off speed, roll on speed and great exhaust notes are only surpassed by the sheer exhilaration of driving the car. Well done ESS!

http://www.esstuning.com/categories/...%252dDrive35i/
Was it easy to install? How long did it take to install? Does it create error codes that will be picked up when you take the care in for service?

Bryan
uslic001 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
[DT]
New Member
 
Drives: (Shopping) Z4s
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uslic001 View Post
Was it easy to install? How long did it take to install? Does it create error codes that will be picked up when you take the care in for service?

Bryan
It's my understanding that the ESS unit plugs into a harness (something like a diagnostics port) and flashes the factory ECU with a new program. Additionally, it (before the aftermarket tuning) can backup the factory programming.

So backup OEM, flash ESS ... have fun ... restore OEM, take to dealer.

I think I read someone posting that it took 15 minutes to flash the ESS tune.

I really like the idea of not physically touching or wiring up anything like a piggyback controller. No chances of breaking a harness or pin, or doing anything that shows the ECU has been accessed (like dinging up the cover/bolts/etc).
[DT] is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Andrew@IND
Colonel
 
Andrew@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 2,302
iTrader: (2)

It is a very easy process.

1.) Plug the handheld unit into the OBD II port.
2.) Copy the stock file.
3.) Email the stock file to ESS.
4.) load received ESS files onto the handheld unit via USB.
5.) Plug the handheld unit in and select the tune you wish to use.
6.) ENJOY.
__________________
Andrew@IND is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
integraworks
Private
 
integraworks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uslic001 View Post
Was it easy to install? How long did it take to install? Does it create error codes that will be picked up when you take the care in for service?

Bryan
Yes it was very easy to install. ESS sends you a handheld interface unit and a cable that plugs into a socket located inside the car. You download a software update, then record the OEM ECU program onto the unit and backup onto your computer for future use. Send them the OEM file via email and a few hours later they send you the MOD ECU program. You load this onto the handheld unit and then upload it into the car. The upload took about 20 mins. The only odd thing was the fuel pump came on and stayed on during the upload of the MOD ECU program... that sort of concerned me but no harm was done.

No error codes have cropped up and all systems work just fine.

Before you take the car in for service you upload the original OEM ECU Program that you have stored on your computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
It's my understanding that the ESS unit plugs into a harness (something like a diagnostics port) and flashes the factory ECU with a new program. Additionally, it (before the aftermarket tuning) can backup the factory programming.

So backup OEM, flash ESS ... have fun ... restore OEM, take to dealer.

I think I read someone posting that it took 15 minutes to flash the ESS tune.

I really like the idea of not physically touching or wiring up anything like a piggyback controller. No chances of breaking a harness or pin, or doing anything that shows the ECU has been accessed (like dinging up the cover/bolts/etc).
I compared the JB4 to the ESS system and ultimately it was the simplicity of the ESS that won me over. No hardware to install, adapt or malfunction.
integraworks is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
cakePlease
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Wow, you mean with this you can ultimately get an extra 100HP for under $1k? That's amazing!
cakePlease is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
[DT]
New Member
 
Drives: (Shopping) Z4s
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
Yes it was very easy to install. ESS sends you a handheld interface unit and a cable that plugs into a socket located inside the car. You download a software update, then record the OEM ECU program onto the unit and backup onto your computer for future use. Send them the OEM file via email and a few hours later they send you the MOD ECU program.
Ahh, they use the factory tune for a starting point - they take your program, patch it, and reload it. I suspect it must have a key that and/or some kind of cipher that authorizes the program, that's tested during startup, interesting stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
I compared the JB4 to the ESS system and ultimately it was the simplicity of the ESS that won me over. No hardware to install, adapt or malfunction.
The ease of install/uninstall is very compelling, even with the cheaper JB pricing and the extra features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakePlease View Post
Wow, you mean with this you can ultimately get an extra 100HP for under $1k? That's amazing!
Yeah, factory FI is always slick for adding some HP. Tune, a little exhaust work, so many FI cars can pick up 75-100+ HP. It's one of the things that makes the N5x powered BMWs so interesting!
[DT] is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
integraworks
Private
 
integraworks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario

Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakePlease View Post
Wow, you mean with this you can ultimately get an extra 100HP for under $1k? That's amazing!
Yes, and there is NO doubt in my mind that the 100Hp more is there after driving the car with the Stage 2 Program installed. It is remarkable.

So fun zipping along at 60Kph in 3rd and then poking the gas a bit and in only a couple of seconds doing 120 Kph... and the sounds!
integraworks is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #9
jdogg2000
Private First Class
 
jdogg2000's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Carrera GTS
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Quick question along these lines... does anyone know how often the dealer updates the software on these cars? I'm under the impression that if they install an ECU update to your car, you'd have to resend the car's ECU program to ESS and they charge $100 for an updated map for your car.
__________________

//'04 330i ZHP (gone) //'07 E92 335i (gone)//'08 SG E93 M3 (gone)
//'11 Z4 sDrive35i (gone)//'11 Jet Black E92 M3 (gone)
//'11 Carrera GTS
jdogg2000 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Roman@ESS
 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 2,603
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogg2000 View Post
Quick question along these lines... does anyone know how often the dealer updates the software on these cars? I'm under the impression that if they install an ECU update to your car, you'd have to resend the car's ECU program to ESS and they charge $100 for an updated map for your car.
If the factory software is updated by the dealer you can simply read and re-send for an update if you have the Direct Flash. The Direct Flash can hold up to 10 maps and allows you to remove / replace files as often as needed.

I have been driving our new project Z4 35is with this software. It is a fantastic performing tune that provides better than factory drivability and a large increase in power.
__________________
Web: www.esstuning.com
Email: Roman@esstuning.com
Phone: (480) 525-9155
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram esstuning
Roman@ESS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
sDrive35i
Private
 
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn

Posts: 91
iTrader: (0)

How does it increase the sound? If you have DCT, does it make the shifting sounds louder?
__________________

2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35i
2010 Nissan Maxima
sDrive35i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
Wraith.
Captain
 
Wraith.'s Avatar
 
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Seattle

Posts: 790
iTrader: (0)

So Roman, with the 35iS and stage 2 are we talking 430Hp?
Wraith. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
suvidh
Private First Class
 
suvidh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i , 2011 f10 525d
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: India

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sDrive35i View Post
How does it increase the sound? If you have DCT, does it make the shifting sounds louder?
Yes the shifts are much louder n sweet
suvidh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #14
suvidh
Private First Class
 
suvidh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i , 2011 f10 525d
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: India

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

Was anyone able to measure 0-100 time and 1/4 mile time with and without the tune ?
suvidh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
 
Dr Stig 2's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Demon!
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Dont mind me, just watching for more details...
__________________

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Dr Stig 2 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
Roman@ESS
 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 2,603
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
So Roman, with the 35iS and stage 2 are we talking 430Hp?
On pump 91 / 93 octane im going to say its around 400-410 HP with the tune alone. We are working on Downpipes, Intercooler and turbo upgrades currently. We will see how much power we can get out of her
__________________
Web: www.esstuning.com
Email: Roman@esstuning.com
Phone: (480) 525-9155
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram esstuning
Roman@ESS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
disruptv
Major
 
Drives: 3M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ny

Posts: 1,145
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
roman,

on a z435is, what can I make at the wheels on a stg2 2 with no other mods other than a ess flash? what type of whp gain can I expect?
disruptv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
Auraraptor
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Exx
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

You can hold ten maps:

1. Stock
2. Stage 1 tune
3. Stage 2 tune
3. ???
4. ???
5. ???
...
10. Profit?
Auraraptor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
ridin135
Colonel
 
Drives: 991 C2S
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenville

Posts: 2,228
iTrader: (7)

How much psi does the stage 2 run
ridin135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #20
Alext
Colonel
 
Drives: B M W
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Everest

Posts: 2,018
iTrader: (2)

Hey roman are you saying that @ approx 400-410HP the 35is makes more HP than a normal N54 car on Stage 2???
Alext is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #21
Alext
Colonel
 
Drives: B M W
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Everest

Posts: 2,018
iTrader: (2)

Also have you managed to raise the RPM limit on DCT equipped cars yet?
(The ESS website suggests RPM limit of 7200RPM).

DirectFlash Stage 2 :
Top Speed Governor: Removed
RPM Limit: 7200RPM
Fuel requirement: 93US/98Euro
Horsepower: 400 DIN (Stock 306) - 390DIN if used with stock intercooler
Torque: 550NM (Stock 400NM)

http://www.esstuning.com/products/ES...-Software.html

Last edited by Alext; 07-09-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Alext is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2011, 02:49 AM   #22
Roman@ESS
 
Roman@ESS's Avatar
 
Drives: ESS Supercharged E92 M3
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 2,603
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
How much psi does the stage 2 run
14 psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Hey roman are you saying that @ approx 400-410HP the 35is makes more HP than a normal N54 car on Stage 2???
We usually see N54 stage 2 dyno's in the 350 whp range. This is about what a 400-410 hp car will make taking the average 15% drivetrain loss into consideration. The 35is is just a slightly tuned version of the 35i. When tuned with our stage 1 or stage 2 software the power on these two specs is about the same.
__________________
Web: www.esstuning.com
Email: Roman@esstuning.com
Phone: (480) 525-9155
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram esstuning
Roman@ESS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST