New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
billwr
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i, sport, 7sp, etc...

Z4 35i Love-Hate Relationship

Wonder how many of you have a "love-hate relationship" with your Z4. I've had my 2009 Z4 35i for about a year and a half.

On one hand, it's one of the most fun cars I've ever driven - especially in nice weather with the top down. In some ways, it's even more fun than my former M6 - and a lot easier on fuel consumption. It performs well, handles decently, I love the dual clutch paddle shifting 7-speed, etc.

On the other, it's been a pain in the _ _ _ and has spent way too much time way too frequently in BMW service. From an overall reliability standpoint, it is inconsistent to what I've come to expect from BMW (this is my 5th). In fact, it has been to BMW service for warranty repair more times than my other 4 former BMW's combined. It runs great, but my car has experienced many of the common issues including, but not limited to:

- HPFP failure (had to have it towed to BMW service)
- 296 wheel cracks (1 shallow pothole hit)
- HPFP failure (a 2nd time)
- Severe roof rattling - requiring service
- More 296 wheel cracks 6 months later (no potholes hit)
- Dealer software update (not requested) issues requiring re-install
- A 3rd round of 296 wheel cracks 4 months later (still without hitting potholes)
- And now - convertible hardtop failure (per the delaer - requiring parts order from Germany - you'd think there would be parts available in the U.S.)

I've been fortunate to have experienced good support from my dealer under the circumstances - even on most (but not all) of the 296 wheel cracks. That being said, sometimes I feel like I'm driving the dealer's service loaner car as much as I get to drive my Z4.

Enough complaining - I still love the car, but all of these issues tend to make one hate it just a little too.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

I have the same problem regarding roof rattles. It drives me nuts. I also have the fan whirl problem which is beyond pestersome. They replaced my fan twice and on the second go; they actually trimmed the blades since they claim it was the blades rubbing against each other making the noise. Still have the same problem; I need to bring it in again. While i love my z4; these little things really get to me!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #3
vinlikesred
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '08

the HPFP problems with N54 engine were part of the reason i decided to return my 08 335i, and ordered z4 30i, not 35i. as much as i loved my 335i, i would never keep it beyond the factory warranty period (even though they extended the warranty on HPFP. but do you trust ur dealer?)

my z4 is still 2+ months away but i expect it to be a BMW. at best, it will have some quirks here and there. if my luck is bad this time, i'll make lots of visits to my dealer. i keep my expectation low
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
Bigmouth Studio
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
for the noise of the roof, i think it is already better than benz slk. my previous slk got noise from the roof louder than the hifi!

for the bmw wheels, never reliable & heavy. so for all my bmw, i ordered the basic wheels & change them soon. much better performance & better looking.

so don't feel say with our lovely z4
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
statZ4
Rep
Drives: BMW z4 sDrive 35i

Granted I only have just broke 6000km, I really love this car. Knock on wood I haven't had any trouble. I'm running the 296 rims which look great. I was checking them religiously because of the horrendous roads where I live and so far they are holding up. Again knock on wood they continue to! I feel for you guys going through all this crap, sucks when you dish out this much money for a car.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwr View Post
- HPFP failure (had to have it towed to BMW service)
- 296 wheel cracks (1 shallow pothole hit)
- HPFP failure (a 2nd time)
- Severe roof rattling - requiring service
- More 296 wheel cracks 6 months later (no potholes hit)
- Dealer software update (not requested) issues requiring re-install
- A 3rd round of 296 wheel cracks 4 months later (still without hitting potholes)
- And now - convertible hardtop failure (per the delaer - requiring parts order from Germany - you'd think there would be parts available in the U.S.)
It's unfortunate you seemed to have hit 2 of the most severe prbs for the Z4, the HPFP and that dreaded 296. When your wheel first crack, did you consider changing the whole set instead of replacing w/ a new 296 for the cracked one?

I remember my w/i first 1,000 kms, there have been little niggles like the software updates and whatnot but overall it has been a good experience for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Still love-love here. The only problems have been a sometimes-reluctant passenger window (some other members have reported that) and occasional stalling during cold starts (but no long cranks.)
The roof rattle has been minimal and the non-runflat tires have solved it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
CaliSun
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i with sports pack

I love mine but there are times it frustrates me. I had the HPFP go and there is a rubbing sound when I turn the wheel in tight turns that the dealer says 'is nothing'. I got lucky with the two software upgrades and the first was done with the FP replacement and the second durring an annual oil change.

Mine is a 30 month lease that's up in January 12 so it's all stuff I can live with and enjoy the car for one last summer. I want to track my car more and the Z4 just isn't the best for that so I've placed an pre-order for C63 Coupe with the AMG development pack so the additional 181hp and extra 143 lb-ft of torque will scratch the itch the Z4 can't.
      04-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

I am so glad I bought the s30i with very attractive 18" wheels. I assume your dealer has tried using a Gummiflege type produce on the hardtop seals? The wheel and HPFP issues are well known and documented. I can understand why this would ruin what otherwise is an awesome car.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Love, No hate

I have a 35i.

HPFP - had a few slow engine start up cranks just before recall letter went out. Took it in to be serviced just after I got recall letter. It's been several months now and everything is perfect with respect to this. This is now a non issue.

LOVE the car:
Rock solid chasis, No cowl shake.

Exterior styling is unique, classy and sporty. I get about one compliment a week from people.

DCT -versatile and a great piece of technology

Interior fit and finish with the Napa leather and upgraded interior package are excellent.

LIKE the Roof - once in a while I get a creek. I actually expected the hard top roof to make more noise. Just wipe down the rubber seals every few weeks to stop 95% of the creeks
__________________________________________________ ___
DON'T LIKE the Standard Audio System - but I felt the upgraded audio was overpriced. So, I would have not liked spending the money on that.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 04-15-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
mcbeee
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 Z4 s35i & '03 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2003 Z4 3.0i  [5.00]
2001 Z3 3.0i  [0.00]
2009 Z4 s35i  [7.00]
Broke a valve spring, replaced the HPFP and thats all.....no other problems .
Had them check the 296 rims, no cracks and I have 28000 kms on it. (The same roads as Rolf Dieter) so I must have a good set of rims....knock on wood..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
I never had an HPFP issue, but I did have the recall done. Only issue I had was the Low Pressure Fuel Pump hum and had the whole fuel tank replaced. No issues since. Never had crack issues with 296 since I changed to 326M style after 4k miles.

Love the look and style, Dinan Stage 2 performance and the Eisenmann Race Exhaust. I enjoy the 6 speed manual transmission. Standard stereo is ok for what it is. I prefer to hear my exhaust more than the music. It really isn't bad for my use. It is a roadster.

When I last attended the BMW Car club Golden Gate chapter drive meet last weekend, the M boys were impressed on how well I keep up right behind them and cannot shake me off. I must admit, this car is pretty impressive for not being an M. It sure comes pretty close. I must buy one of those cams where you could record the drive event next time I go. Oh, and the M boys had to stop for gas, while the rest just waited....

I've been contemplating on an M3 coupe before they phase out of the V8, but I just can't seem to want to give this up. It's just such a blast and extremely beautiful!
      04-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Only love here, haven't had any issues at all and have about 36000 KM
      04-17-2011, 05:05 AM   #14
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
Only love here, haven't had any issues at all and have about 36000 KM
In the Netherlands we have perfect roads and fuel

And one of the highest car taxes in Europe
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #15
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
First Love, then disappointment then fear

First there was love, I fell in love with the Z in München, Germany 2009 when the Z4 was rolled out and introduced to the German public.

Then there was disappointment, I was disappointed that after 18,000 KM 2 of my rear wheels cracked and BMW had the nerve to tell me it is due to potholes. Then the harsh ride on the RFT, the advance tire wear due to the weight in the trunk. Next was the HPFP scenario, then came the strange noises from the back of the trunk. To this day I think I had a bunch of crickets hibernating in my trunk. Yes I know it was the temperature changes affecting the retractable roof mechanisms.

Finally there was the fear, The fear of the rear wheels cracking again stranding me in strange places waiting for replacements and being told again I've gone thru potholes when I know I have not.

I made it to 26,000 KM with my Z4 then I traded back up to my now M3. Having driven an M3 for 4 years before getting into a Z4 I knew what awaited me. Now I do have forged wheels, real tires, solidly build no more noises and / or rattles a car designed by thoughtful engineers after endless runs around the Nordschleife testing the car improving on already a top notch car before it was build for the customer. I look forward to enjoying the wonderful trails of North America again without disappointment and fear.

Now having said all the above (just responding to the OP here), I did so enjoy driving my Z4 35i and if BMW ever makes a Z4M I might just get another one, for I know 50% + of the components will be replaced bey the M Division before a Z4M goes into the showroom

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 04-17-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

I am still in love with the car. In 6100 mi over 15 months it has been back to the dealer twice (oil change @ 3900mi on my dime and HPFP recall, DCT software update and oil change @ 5400 mi). I have had no wheel cracks on the 296, I check tire pressure weekly and have only had to top off once. I might add that I have hit some terrible potholes on our wonderful So Cal non-maintained roads(US 101 between Ventura & Carpinteria & HWY 150 between Carpinteria & Ojai are among the worst in the state). Tire wear is w/n normal limits but the ride is harsh and will probably go with the new Michelin non RFT when the time comes. I own the car(not a lease) and intend to keep it for a long time so I probably baby it more than some of the younger lease guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 11:03 PM   #17
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

We also purchased our car and it's been mostly a loving relationship so far. It has 7800km on it so far and the only issue was a recall on the HPFP. The car has hit some road imperfections but I haven't had the tire pressure warning show up so I'm assuming there are no cracks on the 296 wheels. I got the factory insurance or whatever the coverage is called in case they do crack.

I plan on keeping the car in my stable for a long time so hopefully we can remedy the issues with the HPFP and wheel cracks and drive many happy miles.
      04-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #18
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Mostly love.
Some hate.

Exhaust Noise, acceleration, luxury, exhaust noise... +++++

Rattles in the roof when up, ---

Amount of time taking it back to the dealer --

Fixes - creaks and rattle, steer rack (groaning noise), about 20 sensors from door handles to boot openers, to window winders... --

Latest, after a short spirited drive (nothing too serious) arrived home and there was a spitting sizzling noise, and a small pool of fluid around the transmission on my garage floor.
It left a white mark on the concrete so its not water.
No warning lights and I haven't recreated it so far in two more drives, but back she will go to see if it has done some damage to itself. (oh all this in 13,000 km)

Reliability is getting to be a bit of an issue, but at least I have been able to try out about six different BMW models that I woudl not have otherwise ever driven.

Ce la vie.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0