New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
Anyone coming to a Z4 from a MX-5 Miata

Hi all, I'm aware there's people on here from all over the world, so I'm having to use differing car names to cater for this. (I'm in Leeds, in the UK by the way).

I am a die hard *10yr* Mazda MX-5 (Miata) driver, having had two NA's (mk1s) and now drive a NC (mk3). Have had the NC for almost 5 years now and I've almost finished paying for it.

I've been considering a serious change of direction, and while I'd love another Mazda, their new car isn't too different to my current car so wouldn't really be a big change.

Hence started looking at a used Z4 S35i. I know its a big change speed wise and I've been to take one for a 1/2 hr test drive at the dealership.

What I am concerned about is will I love the Z4 as much as I have done the MX-5's?

The MX-5's are go-kart like, cheap entertaining, chuckable fun.

My concern is the Z4 will lose some of the intimacy and involvement that I have in the MX-5.

Has anyone on here come from a Miata/MX-5 and can comment on this?

Thanks

David
Leeds, UK
www.mazdamx5.co.uk

PS anyone in the UK got a Deep Sea Blue SDrive35i for sale please????
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

As you put it you may "lose some of the intimacy and involvement that I have in the MX-5" because the Mazda is more basic and "seat of the pants". Only you can tell if that's the direction you want to go, but I'm curious about your 1/2 hr drive. It must have been OK otherwise you wouldn't be here.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a change I think you'll gain much more than you lose. The Z4 is much more refined and classy. Plus, the power is much better. You may loose just a hair in the handling department but only because the Mazda is more direct, more visceral. But the Z4's handling characteristics are excellent. Take a look at this 'tube vid Jeremy Clarkson's comparison of the Z4 to a 370Z - entertaining but a pretty good review overall.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 06-30-2010 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
I am a die hard *10yr* Mazda MX-5 (Miata) driver, having had two NA's (mk1s) and now drive a NC (mk3). Have had the NC for almost 5 years now and I've almost finished paying for it.

The MX-5's are go-kart like, cheap entertaining, chuckable fun.

My concern is the Z4 will lose some of the intimacy and involvement that I have in the MX-5.

Has anyone on here come from a Miata/MX-5 and can comment on this?
First, may I congratulate you on your impeccable taste in cars

I had an MX-5 Mk2.5 before my Z4M (albeit E85).

I'm on the fence at the moment considering upgrading to a 35iS, but for me the jump would be less, if almost horizontal.

I loved the MX-5 dearly, but outgrew it. It was probably on balance more fun than the Z4. One of the reasons is cost. You are always aware you are driving something a lot more valuable in the Z4 and that does affect your driving style i've found (and that's arguably a good thing!)

The Z4 is safer in my opinion - i once had brakes really let me down on the MX-5 despite not actually hitting anything - even with the increase in power. I just get the impression the safety systems are more dependable (but could be wrong)

Motorway driving is a lot more relaxing in the Zed. For one thing the engine is never struggling, and secondly the steering wheel gearing is very different, meaning you have a large area of play to keep roughly straight ahead. This means you are less on edge trying to keep the car following fast bends or on the straight.

One of the main things i noticed from the 2.5 is that the window ledge is a lot higher on the Z4 (and is also higher on the Mk3 Miata) so you lose a little of the all round visibility of the older MX-5s and feel more remote from your surroundings slightly.

The seats of the Zed are FAR better and more adjustable.

The extra power means that adding a passenger seems to have negligible effect on performance and handling. In the MX-5 i noticed a significant impact on the performance AND the handling fun with someone else in the car.

Economy is going to be MUCH worse in the Z4, particularly the bigger engined variants.

I loved and still love the simplicity of the soft top in the MX-5, but its really nice to have an electric roof. I found sound insulation around the window actually better in the MX-5 than the Z4, and that could be partly due to the manual tensioner in the MX-5, whereas on the Z4 the system has to be closed by electric means only.

Apologies for brain dump. And of course, sorry, based on experience in E85, but some comparisons will be similar if you compared the E89 with the MX-5

Last edited by Merefield; 06-30-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Hi, I used to own a NB '01 MX5 which I heavily modified (aftermarket turbo, adjustable shocks etc). It went like the clappers.

It was the best fun I have had. Period.

The Z4, especially the E89, cannot compare in terms of outright fun and, as you say, chuckability. Balancing the MX5 right on the edge of traction using your hands and right foot through a long sweeper or a tight hairpin was just so involving and unforgettable.

You should buy a Z4 e89 if you want the luxury the looks and all the latest gadgets. The handling and communication to the driver will feel numb compared to a MX5. Especially one that has its suspension components even slightly modified.

The only thing better for a reasonable price than a MX5 in terms of handling and feedback would be an Elise.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #5
nicolak
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 F350 17 i3 REx

Owned a 1999 MX-5 for about 4 years. What the posters above me have stated I agree with. I will only add the manual transmission in the Miata was much more fun and flickable than my E89 and previous E85. It felt more like a motorbike transmission in the Miata, would often not bother with the clutch during up or downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

i think you guys are comparing apples to oranges... a little itty bitty nimble miata is no where near the E89 or E85 for that matter. i'm not knocking it, i'm just saying it's like saying, "anyone coming from a Z435i to a SL65AMG"
in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "it's like taking a baby off of breast milk and straight unto Port"
      06-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
i think you guys are comparing apples to oranges... a little itty bitty nimble miata is no where near the E89 or E85 for that matter. i'm not knocking it, i'm just saying it's like saying, "anyone coming from a Z435i to a SL65AMG"
in the words of Jeremy Clarkson, "it's like taking a baby off of breast milk and straight unto Port"
That's a good one.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

The 6 speed MX5/Miata gearbox in the NB has a superior feel to the Z4 that is for sure (in my honest opinion). I also prefer it to the NA and NC box actually.

It makes you feel REALLY connected to the driveline and driving process and hence the car. Definitely up there with the best, especially for its era.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #9
BLKZ
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i - sapphire black

I have been an MX-5 driver for many many years, having owned one of the the first 3 NA1s to be brought into Australia, and then for the last 4.5 years an NC1 - the first delivered in Australia with the optional removable hardtop.

I have a 35i coming in three weeks, after waiting more than 3 months already and can't wait any longer. I did two test drives in the Z4 and loved so many things about it, that buying one was a no-brainer.

While I will miss the snick-snick manual shifter in the MX-5, I love the DCT in the Z4. While I will miss the NC MX-5 soft-top that can be dropped with a flick of the wrist in less than 2 seconds, I love the folding hardtop on the Z4, and appreciate the fact that it doesn't compromise the car's styling like the RHT on the current MX-5. I always found the MX-5s to be underpowered, but won't have that issue with the 35i! The MX-5 standard exhaust note was totally unispiring, but when you pull a shift on the 35i DCT and the exhaust goes "craack" it is music to my ears! I had to tweak the very early NC1 MX-5 to get the suspension right, but with the Adaptive M suspension, our Z4 will have a setting for all roads. I fitted imported lightweight wheels to the NC, but am totally happy with the 296s on the Z4.

I love washing the MX-5, and will love washing the sapphire black Z4.

It will feel quite strange to not have a bright red MX-5 in the garage after more than 17 years with them, but the Z4 will more than compensate with its superb styling.

The MX-5 is a classic, and can claim to have resurrected the roadster market, which has eventually lead to the wonderful Z4.

Regrets, yes there are a few, but I know I have made the right decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #10
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKZ View Post
I have a 35i coming in three weeks, after waiting more than 3 months already and can't wait any longer. I did two test drives in the Z4 and loved so many things about it, that buying one was a no-brainer.
Congrats BLKZ!

I know the feeling - only 5 days to go!

Can't comment on the Mazda MX5. Being roughly the same size and shape of a silverback mountain gorilla I can squeeze only 3/4 of my body into the MAzda, cant operate the pedals without removing the steerin wheel, and cant close the door without holding my left arm in the air (negating the abililty to close the roof!)
I would love to have driven one though - peopel tell me they are great fun!

The Z4 alas answers my size concerns, and has enough oooomph! to compensate for my large size/weight.

Mmmm, 4 days, 23 hours and 58 minutes to go!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
BLKZ
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i - sapphire black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Only 5 days to go!

Mmmm, 4 days, 23 hours and 58 minutes to go!
How can you contain your excitement? Today it is only 4 days to go, and tomorrow only 3! At work on Monday you will be thinking "only 2 days to go" all day and getting nothing done, and finally Tuesday, its notch up the anticipation to fever pitch as as it will be only 1 day to go! Are you taking a sickie on Wednesday?

We've still got 18 days to go, so perhaps your car was on the ship 2 weeks earlier than ours. I actually saw a near-new sapphire black 35i parked in the street yesterday and had a terrible yearning on the spot.

Hope you are really treated by your dealer and enjoy your experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Thanks for the well wishes.

Delivery is Tuesday arvo. Yah!

I will pop in to the dealer on the way home today (been interstate for a week) to see it in the flesh.
Its already been detailed - just needs the interior leather protection on Monday.
As I have never seen this model in the flesh I am very keen - to say the least.
Even the wife is excited. She probably wants a drive...

Work? who cares about work.

Count Down: 3 days to go...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Very exciting!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #14
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
That's a good one.
I second that ^5

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
I have had 2 Miata's over the past 15 years. A 1995 M Edition and a 2008 Grand Touring with retractable hard top. Both have been absolutely terrific cars. That said though they are in an entirely different class.

My like for the Miata is probably based on my like for the old Triumphs. I have owned and rebuilt both a 1974 TR6 and a 1980 Spitfire. There was always something about the British sports cars that made me smile whenever I drove with the top down. They were never fast and never had all the bells and whistles and god knows that Lucas electrics were always having one problem or another but there was that something.....

Anyway, in between the Miata's I had a 2004 BMW 330ci cab and a 2007 BMW 335i cab. Both were terrific cars but as with my Z4, continuously had service issues. I had no problem having to take them in for service but I did have issues with having to take them in for the same thing over and over due to inavailability of parts and inability to re-program when that was necessary.

This past year I really fell in love with the new Z4 styling and features. So I decided to sell the Miata after only 1 year and get the 2010 Z4. So far I have been really happy with the Z4 except for the dealership and its inability to do a simple re-program. All else is fine.

So.... I guess it all comes down to what you like and can afford and whether or not you are willing to put up with the BMW shanagins. I still love the Miata and the retractable hard top was terrific but nothing I have ever owned has come close to the exhilirating driving experience of the Z4. A 160 hp 6 speed Miata, although fun, does not come close and is very uncomfortable on a 350 mile or more trip..........

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #16
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I sold my MY06 MX5 to pick-up my '11 3.0 Z4. While I loved driving the MX, I prefer this car; as much if not more fun to drive in my opinion.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0