New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #133
Merefield
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, UK


Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
Agreed. And add to your list:

- Z4sDrive35is... seriously?! And it's emblazoned across the side of the car. Reminds me of that dumb move Mercedes made by plastering the word 'Kompressor' across the side of their super-charged cars back in the late 90's, early 2000s.

- So what do you call the damned thing? Imagine someone asking you what you drive. You ponied up a lot more money for your car, so naturally you'll want them to to know you have a more souped-up version of the Z4. You can't say Z4 ///M (because it's not even close). Therefore, you don't simply say Z4. You have to say "Z4sDrive35is" Try the same with a 3-series (or virtually any other BMW model) and the exchange is so much easier. I drive a 335i or I drive an M3. People know instantly what you've got. Period.
You are right, but i'd go even further than that.

After all the money i spent on my ///M it is STILL just a Z4 to a lot of people - especially to women - surely a significant part of the "be nice if they were impressed" target audience . However, you are lucky if they know what a Z4 is, let alone the ///M moniker! "It's the M version, you know" - <blank look>

Which really suggests with respect to "street cred" alone, you are best to go with a 23i, its every bit a Z4 and any more spend is superfluous!

Would they _even_ notice the difference when sitting in the passenger seat beside you? - in fact the more powerful versions might even be more likely to make them feel sick!

... oh and you'd be being kinder on the environment and your wallet at the same time!



... but then there are your mates and work colleagues to consider ... and the guy next to you at the lights ... blast the BMW marketing department!!

... but yes, ABSOLUTELY, most people will never recognise nor care about whether your Zed includes an "s" at the end or not!



( DISCLAIMER: mostly in jest - wild generalisations about women, their fragility with respect to spirited driving and levels of car knowledge are purely for comedy value )

Last edited by Merefield; 05-01-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #134
alan64
Lieutenant
19

 
alan64's Avatar
 
Drives: z4
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: canada


Posts: 484
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
I dig it, but I am not feelin the silver side mirrors. can you say Audi.

also did the antenna get even longer on this model?
you can also say,, z8
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #135
bavarian19
General
United_States
375

 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA


Posts: 18,815
iTrader: (23)

i like this!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #136
s2000jan
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
9

 
Drives: E89 - sDrive 35is
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Belgium - Antwerp area


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

When people ask me what I drive, I say 'Z4 35iS'

And I agree about (most of the) women not knowing what car you have: imagine, my wife has a E60 520 diesel and I had a E92 335i and when I go to get one of the daugthers from music school, they tend to ask me 'is this your car or mam's?' Can you imagine ?
__________________
2012 - F30 - 330d M-pack - Glacier Silver
1999 - Honda S2000 - Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #137
dwagner00
Private
6

 
Drives: Z4 35is
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle


Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post
Agreed. And add to your list:
So what do you call the damned thing? Imagine someone asking you what you drive. You ponied up a lot more money for your car, so naturally you'll want them to to know you have a more souped-up version of the Z4. You can't say Z4 ///M (because it's not even close). Therefore, you don't simply say Z4. You have to say "Z4sDrive35is" Try the same with a 3-series (or virtually any other BMW model) and the exchange is so much easier. I drive a 335i or I drive an M3. People know instantly what you've got. Period. The name is stupid.
What's stupid is trying to impress people with what car you have or how much you spent on it. I bought the 'is' because _I_ wanted it, not because it would impress anyone else. If anyone asks, I'll say Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #138
Merefield
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, UK


Posts: 100
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwagner00 View Post
What's stupid is trying to impress people with what car you have or how much you spent on it. I bought the 'is' because _I_ wanted it, not because it would impress anyone else. If anyone asks, I'll say Z4.
True, and thats the primary reason i bought my ///M. For me.

But let's face it, taken to extreme and to illustrate a point, there are some cars you'd be embarrassed to drive, no? That's more to do with what OTHER people think, or what you THINK other people will think that to do with you.

And at the opposite end of the self-conscious spectrum, whilst I really like my Zed, there are places I've been with it where I feel its too flashy ...

So some of it is about image IMHO, you just can't get away from it.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #139
dwagner00
Private
6

 
Drives: Z4 35is
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Seattle


Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merefield View Post
True, and thats the primary reason i bought my ///M. For me.

But let's face it, taken to extreme and to illustrate a point, there are some cars you'd be embarrassed to drive, no? That's more to do with what OTHER people think, or what you THINK other people will think that to do with you.

And at the opposite end of the self-conscious spectrum, whilst I really like my Zed, there are places I've been with it where I feel its too flashy ...

So some of it is about image IMHO, you just can't get away from it.
That's true to some extent, I suppose. Most cars I wouldn't drive, I wouldn't because of how the felt, quality of interior, as well as simply performance.

I do, though, think that parsing the individual Z4 (or 3-series, or E-class, or whatever) is splitting hairs.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #140
s2000jan
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
9

 
Drives: E89 - sDrive 35is
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Belgium - Antwerp area


Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

apparently chipping the new 35i engines (as of march 2010) has become even more difficult, if not impossible ....

someone at my dealership told me

don't know the source of that

I do believe that EVERYTHING is 'crackable' ...
__________________
2012 - F30 - 330d M-pack - Glacier Silver
1999 - Honda S2000 - Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #141
MDLFCS
Private First Class
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2009 Zee Four 35i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alaska


Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

How do you attain 369 hp? Do you go about it through launch control?

I have heard that BMW underates HP and TQ numbers. So, with the 35i, I have heard 330 HP, but I don't know if that through launch control or otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #142
MDLFCS
Private First Class
United_States
8

 
Drives: 2009 Zee Four 35i
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Alaska


Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Nevermind. I found an article on the forum that says the following link:

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...z4-sdrive35is/

"...the overboost is achieved by simply stomping the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, which depresses a floor-mounted switch..."
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 04:26 AM   #143
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
45

 
Dr Stig 2's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Demon!
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia


Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sorry to be in late on this one...

I can agree and disagree with the personal taste comments.

Like power
Like new front bumper
Hate mirrors
Prefer look of standard steering wheel.

I would have bought the 35i, and optioned in the suspension and the 19" wheels and DCT and Ivory and, and, and.

Turns out it was cheaper to haggle on a 35is.
The 19" wheels are nicer (to me) with the 326M instead of the 296'ers. Sportier, against classier.
I can live with the M badges, but I dont value them.
I didn't want to buy an M car. Just a good car.

I think I have made the right choice for me...

Dr Stig
__________________

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #144
raypeter
Enlisted Member
3

 
Drives: x6m
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: sydney australia


Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

on a lighter note, the pics of the white car on the bridge were taken down the road from me
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #145
bavarian19
General
United_States
375

 
bavarian19's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA


Posts: 18,815
iTrader: (23)

nice new pics!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #146
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
United_States
447

 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY


Posts: 17,534
iTrader: (0)

thanks for the new wallpapers.
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #147
UncleScottie
Private
4

 
Drives: Z4 3.0si Coupe w/Sport Package
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT


Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Range topping???????

Interesting concept. A "range topping" model that tests slower through the slalom than the supposedly lesser model. I guess if all your roads are as straight as an arrow, with fresh smooth asphalt, then this is the "range topping" model.

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/z4/201...full-test.html
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #148
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
13

 
juhap's Avatar
 
Drives: sDrive35i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Finland


Posts: 530
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleScottie View Post
Interesting concept. A "range topping" model that tests slower through the slalom than the supposedly lesser model. I guess if all your roads are as straight as an arrow, with fresh smooth asphalt, then this is the "range topping" model.
Yes, without those pesky little cones that riddle all our roads the s35is would surely be top of the range. Not to mention getting to work would take only half the time it now takes.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 01:03 AM   #149
Alext
Colonel
No_Country
128

 
Drives: B M W
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Everest


Posts: 2,023
iTrader: (2)

Hehe exactly. Let me think now, how many times have I completed a cone slalom with any of cars in the past 10+ years....mmmm...mmmm...NEVER!

And how many times have I used every kilowatt of power in a straight line....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #150
NolanKeen
New Member
Germany
0

 
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ansbach, Germany


Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

i love the 35is but to think of the gulp in the price tag vs the 35i is huge and for the 35hp and 32tq with few of any options added to the price seems that why not just got with a 35i ? but then again i was looking up at parts for the "Zorro 4" and seeing that for instance a intake is around 2k for one and exhaust system about 2-3k.?? then again your not looking at the same up in HP/TQ, i also seemed to have found tuning chips/reprogramming of the ecu and come to think of it they are very $$$ or you must call for the pricing. and that seems to be the only one really with such a big gain in performance.. call me crazy, maybe i dont know truly what i might be saying, but for the price maybe it is worth it ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #151
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
Canada
323

 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada


Posts: 7,863
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanKeen View Post
i love the 35is but to think of the gulp in the price tag vs the 35i is huge and for the 35hp and 32tq with few of any options added to the price seems that why not just got with a 35i ? but then again i was looking up at parts for the "Zorro 4" and seeing that for instance a intake is around 2k for one and exhaust system about 2-3k.?? then again your not looking at the same up in HP/TQ, i also seemed to have found tuning chips/reprogramming of the ecu and come to think of it they are very $$$ or you must call for the pricing. and that seems to be the only one really with such a big gain in performance.. call me crazy, maybe i dont know truly what i might be saying, but for the price maybe it is worth it ?
I find the 35i perfectly fine and there is no need for more. I go into "Sport Mode" and it feels like heaven. Compared a 2011 to my 2009 the other day at the dealer and found not too much difference at all. Love my 35i
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #152
NolanKeen
New Member
Germany
0

 
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ansbach, Germany


Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I find the 35i perfectly fine and there is no need for more. I go into "Sport Mode" and it feels like heaven. Compared a 2011 to my 2009 the other day at the dealer and found not too much difference at all. Love my 35i
i am also very happy with my 35i, i was just comparing the price diff vs the aftermarket prices and little nick nacks. i have enjoyed every single mile i have placed on "Zorro 4". I love the sight of peoples faces when they say go ahead i want to hear what it sounds like, vs their new mustangs and chargers in all cases i couldnt be happier..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #153
UncleScottie
Private
4

 
Drives: Z4 3.0si Coupe w/Sport Package
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CT


Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Hehe exactly. Let me think now, how many times have I completed a cone slalom with any of cars in the past 10+ years....mmmm...mmmm...NEVER!

And how many times have I used every kilowatt of power in a straight line....
Ok Mr Diesel, we know, you can only handle life a 1/4 mile at time. You know, they do have drugs for ADD now. I guess in addition to the 19" wheels with RFT tires you were probably hoping for a live rear axle on the 35is as well.

Last edited by UncleScottie; 10-28-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #154
bimmermama
New Member
0

 
bimmermama's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Columbus, OH


Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Cool walnut interior/al. trim

I love it with the walnut interior.

I have a bmw columbus ohio . I am thinking of upgrading to a new bimmer in the next few years. The only thing I don't like here is the aluminum trim. It's a little toyish.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST