New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,924
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
examiner.com reviews the BMW Z4. Comes to the expected conclusion

Name:  Z4_Side_2.jpg
Views: 3452
Size:  57.1 KB

I really enjoyed this article posted on examiner.com. Its a nicely worded review of the Z4 which briefly hits on all the important points of the car

"Steering is very precise. The only learning curve for me was the massive distance from the front wheels to the steering wheel. Sitting so far back, it’s hard to triangulate exactly where the front wheels are – at first. In time, I was able to precisely position the Z4 on any curve. With a little extra stick (with the traction control off), the rear end slides out on command. On more than one occasion, sliding all fours was not only possible but ridiculously fun. "

Source: http://www.examiner.com/x-2102-Denve...otos-and-Video
__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
samuraisaiyo
First Lieutenant
 
samuraisaiyo's Avatar
 
Drives: 318i E36
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangkok

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to samuraisaiyo
Very interesting about the comments.
__________________
samuraisaiyo is offline   Thailand
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
 
WhoU4's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 341
iTrader: (0)

Denver Autos Examiner - Nathan Adlen

"The old Z4 represented much of what many dislike in modern design…ugliness. I could go on and on about what made the former Z4 not so great, in the end it was a muddled machine searching for a soul."

Whatever...
__________________


OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP
WhoU4 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
E90PAT
SOFLO CODING
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoFla

Posts: 3,224
iTrader: (17)

Send a message via AIM to E90PAT
niceee.. never noticed how far bac from the center of the car you really are
__________________

Coding services in Broward/Miami/Gainesville and surrounding areas! Ask me!
E90PAT is offline   Slovenia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
MidwestBimmerFan
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3, 1976 2002
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Willowbrook, IL

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

Nice article! But I still love the original Z4 also.
MidwestBimmerFan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #6
ebeem
First Lieutenant
 
ebeem's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335i M - Paket
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Munich,Germany

Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

Which hairdresser wrote this review?

Quote:
This is not a full blown sports car, which is a good thing. The BMW Z4 is a grand touring vehicle of the highest order. Rather than beat you senseless with an over stiffened ride for track driving, the BMW Z4 sDrive35i in which I drove had an adjustable suspension. I left it alone and enjoyed the smooth – yet firm ride.
he just praises all the things former Z4 owners don`t like about the new Z4

well it became the SLK of BMW

but don`t get me wrong ,it is a beautiful car and I think it`s well built
but it does not reflect what BMW always tried to offer with the former Z-cars : the roadster feeling which connects you directly to the car as well as the road
ebeem is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
Ramius
Second Lieutenant
 
Ramius's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Belgium

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeem View Post
he just praises all the things former Z4 owners don`t like about the new Z4...
By far not all of them dislike the new one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebeem View Post
it does not reflect what BMW always tried to offer with the former Z-cars : the roadster feeling which connects you directly to the car as well as the road
Although it feels softer than the previous one it still does connect you directly and with a few easy suspension adjustments you make it as hard as the old one...

Coming from a 2005 Z4 with M-suspension and 19 inch wheels which I drove for 4 years, I think that I know what I'm talking about.
Ramius is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
the infamous...
Relapsed Bimmerpost Addict
 
the infamous...'s Avatar
 
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PARADISE aka CANES COUNTRY

Posts: 17,538
iTrader: (0)

I think it's a good review.
__________________


"simple is clean" -The ///ModFather
the infamous... is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
 
Roadstergal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA - East Coast

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Thanks, great review. I especially liked what he said about the six speed manual vs dct or steptronic. My sentiments exactly.
Roadstergal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
Vintage
Colonel
 
Vintage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i and 2014 535d x
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 2,202
iTrader: (0)

yes, the DCT is terrible compared to manual despite quicker acceleration and better gas mileage - it really sucks; while we are at it let's chunk the other technological advancements too like the M suspension, turbos, stability control, traction control, abs, airbags, variable valve and exhaust timing, much improved sound system, navigation, tubeless tires, run flat tires, satellite radio, SOS, auto dimming mirrors, auto wipers, hd radio (hell, delete all radio and all sound, real cars never had that, especially race cars), power steering and braking. indeed, might as well forget the starter and let's hand crank the darn thing. all this advancement sucks, I am going out back to hand chop firewood in preparation for the coming winter for my pot belly stove because it is the only source of heat for my log cabin that has no electricity or running water
Vintage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
 
Roadstergal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA - East Coast

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
yes, the DCT is terrible compared to manual despite quicker acceleration and better gas mileage - it really sucks; while we are at it let's chunk the other technological advancements too like the M suspension, turbos, stability control, traction control, abs, airbags, variable valve and exhaust timing, much improved sound system, navigation, tubeless tires, run flat tires, satellite radio, SOS, auto dimming mirrors, auto wipers, hd radio (hell, delete all radio and all sound, real cars never had that, especially race cars), power steering and braking. indeed, might as well forget the starter and let's hand crank the darn thing. all this advancement sucks, I am going out back to hand chop firewood in preparation for the coming winter for my pot belly stove because it is the only source of heat for my log cabin that has no electricity or running water
I don't think the person who wrote the article was dissing the dct transmission, nor am I. It is just that the six speed is more fun to drive. I was reallly going for the new technology and would not order my car until I found one to test drive. I was certain I was going to order my car with the dct transmission. I was coming from driving manuals all my life and was ready for a change. It just didn't do it for me. As I have previously stated, if you were accustomed to driving automatics, the dct would more than satisfy. I find that the six speed manual is more fun to drive and I knew that once the novelty of the dct wore off, had I ordered it with that configuration, I would be missing the manual. I am all for technology, but in this case the dct still seemed more like an automatic in my opinion. I think it is great, but just not for everyone and I just felt that the author of that article hit the nail on the head when he compared the manual to the other transmissions.

Last edited by Roadstergal; 10-02-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Roadstergal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
 
BlueZ4AZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ

Posts: 903
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I don't think the person who wrote the article was dissing the dct transmission, nor am I. It is just that the six speed is more fun to drive. I was reallly going for the new technology and would not order my car until I found one to test drive. I was certain I was going to order my car with the dct transmission. I was coming from driving manuals all my life and was ready for a change. It just didn't do it for me. As I have preiviously stated, if you were accustomed to driving automatics, the dct would more than satisfy. I find that the six speed manual is more fun to drive and I knew that once the novelty of the dct wore off, had I ordered it with that configuration, I would be missing the manual. I am all for technology, but in this case the dct still seemed more like an automatic in my opinion. I think it is great, but just not for everyone and I just felt that the author of that article hit the nail on the head when he compared the manual to the other transmissions.
I test drove both, and the DCT was more fun to drive than the manual, so I purchased the Z4 with that transmission. I had driven manuals for the past 12 years. I feel I made the absolute right decision. The DCT is not a "novelty" where the enjoyment will wear off. I enjoy the option to either shift on my own or have the transmission do it for me. A choice you never get with the manual. It is nothing like an automatic or even a manumatic/steptronic. Totally different.
BlueZ4AZ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
 
Roadstergal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA - East Coast

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
I test drove both, and the DCT was more fun to drive than the manual, so I purchased the Z4 with that transmission. I had driven manuals for the past 12 years. I feel I made the absolute right decision. The DCT is not a "novelty" where the enjoyment will wear off. I enjoy the option to either shift on my own or have the transmission do it for me. A choice you never get with the manual. It is nothing like an automatic or even a manumatic/steptronic. Totally different.
There is no right or wrong choice; different strokes for different folks.
Roadstergal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
 
twin turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Saint Lucie West, Florida

Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)

And if you plan to tune (which I have), DCT has limit of 375 lb/ft of torque which means no Dinan/GIAC flash or JB3/Procede piggyback. Just another reason to go with the manual.
__________________
2011 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe
2012 Audi TT RS
2010 Lexus ISF (sold)
2009 Porsche Cayman S (sold)
2010 Nissan GTR (sold)
twin turbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
 
BlueZ4AZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ

Posts: 903
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
There is no right or wrong choice; different strokes for different folks.
Agreed
BlueZ4AZ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #16
Vintage
Colonel
 
Vintage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i and 2014 535d x
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

Posts: 2,202
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
There is no right or wrong choice; different strokes for different folks.
I also agree - I was just trying to inject some humor into this endless debate.
Vintage is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2009, 01:00 AM   #17
KWY91
Major
 
KWY91's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (on order), 458
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Exeter, Devon

Posts: 1,299
iTrader: (3)

Nice review... Sigh, wish I could own a strictly 2 seater car.. Got to drive my buddies old Z4, what a beast
__________________
Wanna know my mods for my 335i? It's here! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=blue+water

Lamborghini's Mica Orange E93 M3
Akrapovic Exhaust //Challenge Rear CF diffuser//ESS VT-575 Supercharger
KWY91 is offline   Singapore
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #18
willysp
Private
 
Drives: Z4 '09 35i DCT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indiana, US

Posts: 85
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92PAT View Post
niceee.. never noticed how far bac from the center of the car you really are
It is REALLY noticeable when I have my top up!
willysp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
dcs2k
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Singapore

Posts: 440
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo View Post
And if you plan to tune (which I have), DCT has limit of 375 lb/ft of torque which means no Dinan/GIAC flash or JB3/Procede piggyback. Just another reason to go with the manual.
This in particularly is worrying. Any way to reflash the transmission to accept more than 375lb/ft of torque? Running on a JB3 now and do not wish to screw up the DCT.
dcs2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
teagueAMX
Colonel
 
teagueAMX's Avatar
 
Drives: Some are road worthy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal, USA

Posts: 2,086
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
This in particularly is worrying. Any way to reflash the transmission to accept more than 375lb/ft of torque? Running on a JB3 now and do not wish to screw up the DCT.
Isn't that the issue, mechanically it's designed to handle a max of 375 tq.

The tunes from other models, or even the MT would blow the DCT in the 35i, at least that what I've read.
teagueAMX is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #21
richard in NC
Major
 
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 1,335
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Isn't that the issue, mechanically it's designed to handle a max of 375 tq.

The tunes from other models, or even the MT would blow the DCT in the 35i, at least that what I've read.
They simply have to limit it to 375 lb.ft. of torque, still a nice increase of 75.
That would also limit the HP to about 380 depending on how the torque falls off at high RPMs.
__________________
2013 X3 35i, Vermillion Red/Sand Beige: MSport, Premium, Technology, Premium Sound, Hud, More...
2012 335is, Space Gray/Oyster-Black: DCT, 19s, Premium, Convenience, Nav, Heated Seats, More...
Gone '11 X5 50i, '09 Z4 35i, '08 550i, 06 X3, 06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i
richard in NC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #22
twin turbo
Second Lieutenant
 
twin turbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Saint Lucie West, Florida

Posts: 242
iTrader: (0)

From what I have read, the N54 makes about 320 lb/ft of torque at the crank, the car is under rated by BMW. I think that Dinan stage 1 might be safe (whens it's available). Even the JB+ at 100%, which I am currently running while waiting for a suitable flash, makes 358 lb/ft of torque to the wheels which exceeds the limit of the DCT. Oddly, the old steptronic handled more torque than the brand new state of the art DCT trasmission.
__________________
2011 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe
2012 Audi TT RS
2010 Lexus ISF (sold)
2009 Porsche Cayman S (sold)
2010 Nissan GTR (sold)
twin turbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST