New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

12-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
chango335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 35i Luxury, C450 AMG

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [0.00]
New Nikon D90

I've been using point shoot cameras for a long time now and I just recently bought my first DSLR...a Nikon D90. I also bought the Nikon DX 18mm-105mm lens. Man there's so many features on this thing, it's hard to know exactly what settings are good for the type of shot u want. I've been using this site: www.kenrockwell.com to find out what settings are ideal for various situations. So I took his advice on a few things and here are some pics that I took tonight:

Any suggestions on taking better pics?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue/Usually full of camera ge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chango335 View Post
I've been using point shoot cameras for a long time now and I just recently bought my first DSLR...a Nikon D90. I also bought the Nikon DX 18mm-105mm lens. Man there's so many features on this thing, it's hard to know exactly what settings are good for the type of shot u want. I've been using this site: www.kenrockwell.com to find out what settings are ideal for various situations. So I took his advice on a few things and here are some pics that I took tonight:
Any suggestions on taking better pics?
Yeah, dont listen to Ken Rockwell . He has the technical knowledge but he has a pretty biased opinion. Pretty much ridiculed in the photography world.

First thing I would really ask you is what are you planning on shooting most? Since every single situation will require a different way of shooting, finding your major is step one.

Very nice purchase and cool pics. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
chango335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 35i Luxury, C450 AMG

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshi View Post
Yeah, dont listen to Ken Rockwell . He has the technical knowledge but he has a pretty biased opinion. Pretty much ridiculed in the photography world.

First thing I would really ask you is what are you planning on shooting most? Since every single situation will require a different way of shooting, finding your major is step one.

Very nice purchase and cool pics. Thanks for sharing.
On a daily basis, I'll usually take pics of my fiance and I, background shots, night shots and of course....my car I'm going to Germany on the 24th, so I'll definitely be doing 3/4 mentioned just now. I really want to take some pics of the new years fireworks display in Berlin, but I'm not quite sure what are the ideal settings for taking fireworks. I know technically I should bring a tripod for this, but I'm not going to bother lugging around a huge piece of equipment in a foreign country.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Jeff231
M235i
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

For fireworks you will definitely need a tripod. I would probably start shooting in Speed priority mode with about a 2-3 second exposure and work up from there or switch over the Manual mode. It really depends on how much motion/movement of the fireworks you want to capture. You should check out some firework shots on flickr and look at their exif data to get a feel of what others are using too.

Oh, and for the photos above, remember the rule of thirds
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #5
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Nice pictures, you should definitely invest in a tripod, your shots will come out wayy better.
Appreciate 0