New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

LPFP noise actually differential whine?

I was reading the Aug 2010 issue of Bimmer magazine and the reviewer of the 35i on page 50 mentioned that there was a whining noise from the differential of the car, which reminded him of Triumph cars of old...I'm wondering if this is actually true (i.e. so that means the noise is 'normal') or if he's mistaken and it actually is from the LPFP and that noise shouldn't be happening?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

The noise the differential makes is barely audible under normal use.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
The noise the differential makes is barely audible under normal use.
Normal use = tyres squealing, engine roaring to the limiter, passenger and driver screaming in pleasure?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Correct! LOL
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Tranquility, I read that same article. Since then, I have sent an email to the editor asking a series of questions re: lp pump, hp pump, whining differential etc.

If I get a response, I'll be sure to post it here.
Best

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Tranquility, I read that same article. Since then, I have sent an email to the editor asking a series of questions re: lp pump, hp pump, whining differential etc.

If I get a response, I'll be sure to post it here.
Best

Dave
Thx! I'd love to know the answer to what he actually thought he heard.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I have heard a whiny differential. You can har the pitch change relative to speed. The LPFP would not do that. It should be easy to differentiate.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
I have heard a whiny differential. You can har the pitch change relative to speed. The LPFP would not do that. It should be easy to differentiate.
Richard, I totally agree, but normally it's so subtle that most people could not differentiate between that sound and the normal tire noise.

You'll note my comment above that it's "barely audible under normal use". I'm accustomed to old muscle cars, old pickups, etc., that a whiny differential is SOP.

I'm convinced the issue is the LPFP if it's that noticeable.

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

I probably should've started a new thread, but here goes...

I think my car has developed a new sound or at least I didn't notice it until a few days ago. It seems to occur at around 1300 RPM in 2nd gear when I'm accelerating, and I can only describe it as a wail/howl/whistle/wind in the windows kind of sound. It's not particularly loud, but still clearly audible. Only lasts for a second or two, but that could be due to the RPM changing. I haven't tried to maintain the same RPM to see if the sound lasts longer. And I haven't really tried to reproduce the sound in other gears except for the 1st gear (unsuccesfully).

It doesn't sound like the low pressure fuel pump humming nor the differential whine, so I'd appreciate any ideas.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post

I think my car has developed a new sound or at least I didn't notice it until a few days ago. It seems to occur at around 1300 RPM in 2nd gear when I'm accelerating, and I can only describe it as a wail/howl/whistle/wind in the windows kind of sound. It's not particularly loud, but still clearly audible. Only lasts for a second or two, but that could be due to the RPM changing. I haven't tried to maintain the same RPM to see if the sound lasts longer. And I haven't really tried to reproduce the sound in other gears except for the 1st gear (unsuccesfully).

It doesn't sound like the low pressure fuel pump humming nor the differential whine, so I'd appreciate any ideas.
Turbos spooling?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Turbos spooling?

I would agree with Silver-Bolt, that's likely a turbo wailing away - normal.

Could be you hear it in 1st gear more because you'll typically hit higher RPM due to the 1st gear ratio. Also, as you car increases in speed other noises such as wind, tire, normal engine, overtake the turbo sound.

As an experiment, I'd try to recreate the sound in different gears by rev'g it harder. I think it's telling you it wants to be driven that way!

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-16-2010 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Thanks guys, hopefully you're correct and I got nothing to worry about. I'll experiment a bit more tomorrow. It's been extraordinarily hot here lately, but I don't think that should have any effect on the spooling sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #13
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Let us know. Heat not an issue.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #14
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Dropped my car off at a different dealership today. Gave me a loaner. They don't know what the problem is and they said they will have to keep the car so they can call the factory or BMW NA on Monday. First they thought it is the high pressure pump in the morning. Now they are not sure. I've had it.

I test drove an M3 and M6 today and I seem to really loved the M3 in 6speed manual than the lurching and jerking SMG M6! I have a feeling I maybe placing my order for Alpine white on REd on the M3. I haven't fully decided if I want the coupe which I drove today or the convertible. The coupe was awesome in the twisty roads where my salesman took me and just let me really push the card hard and enjoy it. It grips like it's on rails. Very impressive. The V-8 growl is great but the M6 sounded better.
      07-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #15
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpnout View Post
Dropped my car off at a different dealership today. Gave me a loaner. They don't know what the problem is and they said they will have to keep the car so they can call the factory or BMW NA on Monday. First they thought it is the high pressure pump in the morning. Now they are not sure. I've had it.

I test drove an M3 and M6 today and I seem to really loved the M3 in 6speed manual than the lurching and jerking SMG M6! I have a feeling I maybe placing my order for Alpine white on REd on the M3. I haven't fully decided if I want the coupe which I drove today or the convertible. The coupe was awesome in the twisty roads where my salesman took me and just let me really push the card hard and enjoy it. It grips like it's on rails. Very impressive. The V-8 growl is great but the M6 sounded better.
That's sad to know, your prb w/ the Z4. So you're gonna take a hit on it when you switch to the M3?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #16
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
That's sad to know, your prb w/ the Z4. So you're gonna take a hit on it when you switch to the M3?
I don't know why I never looked at or test drove the M3 prior to Z4. Honestly, what attracted me to the Z4 was the new styling. It looks SO GOOD!! I think it has the best styling by far out of all the BMW lineup. But the M3 was surprisingly so much fun and so much grip around the corners. It never once felt it would loose control. The salesman in the car with me was laughing out loud with me every time I powered out of the corners. Car was simply amazing. I still need to make up my mine on Coupe or Cabrio, but it looks like I am leaning more towards the coupe after todays test drive. I asked to take it home for the night and naturally they said NO! Didn't hurt to ask!

And for some reason, I've been wanting to get my hands on the last naturally aspirated M cars left before they all go turbo. At first I wanted the M6, but after comparing both today. M3 won my heart!

Last edited by flpnout; 07-18-2010 at 03:10 AM..
Appreciate 0