New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

More paint woes

Anyone have this problem?

My car got wet whilst the lawn was being watered (I didn't know) and today after baking in the sun for a whole morning I have water spots etched into the paint.

I've clayed and polished with a buff and that has taken some out but I still have little rings that seem to be etched into the lacquer.

A quick google has revealed that some BWM owners have been complaining with similar problems on newer cars and some have been put into body shop ovens to "refloat" the clear coat.

I can't understand how a car that is as well waxed and maintained as my own can have this problem from just a little tap water. It looks terrible

Will be calling the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Likely minerals deposited after the water evaporated. However, I can't understand why they are resistant to removal. Well, paint aint what it used to be, what with all the environmental regulations. The quality definitely declined.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

thats weird, i've left water by accident dry on my car and with simply washing it the spots go away.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ead.php?t=4891
      05-28-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Has your car been waxed recently? That would help keep the spots for sticking.

Personally I find that using a quick detailer takes care of water spots without the need for a clay bar.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Andy View Post

My car got wet whilst the lawn was being watered (I didn't know) and today after baking in the sun for a whole morning I have water spots etched into the paint.

I've clayed and polished with a buff and that has taken some out but I still have little rings that seem to be etched into the lacquer.

A quick google has revealed that some BWM owners have been complaining with similar problems on newer cars and some have been put into body shop ovens to "refloat" the clear coat.

I can't understand how a car that is as well waxed and maintained as my own can have this problem from just a little tap water. It looks terrible

Will be calling the dealer tomorrow.
Andy, Please keep us informed what the Dealer has to say.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I'll tell you what's strange. I had the same problem on my jet black paint. I had some water spots that REFUSED to go after buffing with all sorts of compounds on my bootlid (flat so water just collects there and dries). I even tried white vinegar etc. Looked like holograms in the clear coat just like in the link Memphis gave above (I actually looked at that at the time). I couldnt believe it and I swore then I would never buy another black BMW as I have never had such a severe problem with other black cars. And I protected that finish with layers of Collinite, Optiseal, Zaino etc. This made me even more annoyed.

Anyway I just gave up.

Then, after a month or so of everyday driving in the sun, washing and detailing etc and they have mysteriously dissappeared! No kidding, not even a trace.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
SHADOW4
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M4 2018

Garage List
2010 E89 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
I'll tell you what's strange. I had the same problem on my jet black paint. I had some water spots that REFUSED to go after buffing with all sorts of compounds on my bootlid (flat so water just collects there and dries). I even tried white vinegar etc. Looked like holograms in the clear coat just like in the link Memphis gave above (I actually looked at that at the time). I couldnt believe it and I swore then I would never buy another black BMW as I have never had such a severe problem with other black cars. And I protected that finish with layers of Collinite, Optiseal, Zaino etc. This made me even more annoyed.

Anyway I just gave up.

Then, after a month or so of everyday driving in the sun, washing and detailing etc and they have mysteriously dissappeared! No kidding, not even a trace.
After a month driving much when dark and complaining for myself over the worthless windshield that made every stoplight shine like small suns i lowered my sidewindow, leaned out and the stoplights still looked like small suns.
I now have lenses/glasses and the suns are gone, just like that! Maby the spots are still there?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #8
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Haha very funny!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 335i M sport

Z4Andy: Hard-water spots can be difficult to remove, particularly with hand polishes and even with DIY buffers. The urethane clear coats on euro paints are relatively soft, so they scratch, etc. relatively easy. If it really bothers you, I'd try to find a pro detailer. Unless your dealer is much, much different than most, I wouldn't take it there for help. I won't let my dealer even do the free wash after service. Here' a good article that might help -
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-wash-my-car/
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #10
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Andy View Post
My car got wet whilst the lawn was being watered (I didn't know) and today after baking in the sun for a whole morning I have water spots etched into the paint.I've clayed and polished with a buff and that has taken some out but I still have little rings that seem to be etched into the lacquer.A quick google has revealed that some BWM owners have been complaining with similar problems on newer cars and some have been put into body shop ovens to "refloat" the clear coat.I can't understand how a car that is as well waxed and maintained as my own can have this problem from just a little tap water. It looks terrible Will be calling the dealer tomorrow.
you know, the answer might be that you have hard water... i'm not sure how it works where you live, but that might be the problem and not your car or wax.
      05-30-2010, 05:00 PM   #11
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

Spoke to the dealer and they want to look at the car ASAP. So i'm taking it tomorrow.

The dealer knows how well I keep my car.

I'm shocked that a little water cased this much havoc to the paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #12
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok update.

Dealer had a look and now wants the area rep for BMW take a look. They tried to give the car a rub and the spots would not budge.

Made all sorts of remarks like "something in the water" "screenwash additive" ect but lets be realistic here. There was some water splashed on the car followed by a shower of rain then sunshine at about 18c (warmish for this area).

I'm really worried about these marks and they look terrible. Will try and get some good pics up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Yikes, this is worrying! Has it really etched the clearcoat, does the paint feel rough in any way? Have you tried a more aggressive compound (Menzerna)? Keep us updated and good luck in getting it sorted.
      06-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Re:

The paint feels real smooth and the dealer used some 3m. Nothing

They want the car overnight so they can have a good go at it but this really is nonsense that these marks are there in the frist place.

If they do manage to buff them out surely the marks will return next time it rains and dries in the sun. Also buffing removes a layer of clearcoat.

I've had a look about on the net and there is some very worrying stories out there.

I'll get some pics up ASAP. Also the car last had 3 hits of Autoglym SRP, two hits of extra gloss protection. It was washed twice since then with Autoglym shampoo with a hit of Megs Ultimate detailer after each wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #15
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Exactly what I used when I had the marks too. Autoglym super resin polish and Meguiars UQD.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 02:42 AM   #16
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
It might be worth trying an aggressive compound like Menzerna Power Gloss (S100) or Meguiars Scratch X to see if it will shift them. BMW paint/clearcoat is known to be hard, meaning you need a hard cut polish/compound to get any defects out. Keep us updated.
      06-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
m999psw
Rep
Drives: 35i

Hi,
I've have had similar. The car was in for roof noises and a leak last week and i did ask them not to wash it. When I picked it up it was sitting in the sun covered in dried water. I tried to clean it but the water staining is still there.The dealer is having it back today to have a look. They aslo left it with 5 miles of fuel in the tank and now the fuel tank petrol pump is noisy again, it has a leak from the passenger window and new scratch on the rear of the roof and when cornering right it sounds like the window is hitting something. I am not very impressed!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2010, 01:37 AM   #18
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Yes I remember that is what happened to my jet black paint. There was a suprise shower of rain when my car was parked then the sun came out and it dried for the rest of the day. Later that evening I found these strange waterstains that I couldnt remove. But a few weeks later they mysterously dissapeared no joke!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok update on the water spots.

I have made a few posts on another forum about this but i'll try to be brief. Dealer was instructed to remove polish and heat the problem areas.

They are now gone but dealer has badly swirled the car and put a scratch on the rear bumper.

HOWEVER the car got wet in a shower and I have them again. So after ringing the dealer I got the hairdryer out and removed most of them myself and today after letting the car sit in the very hot sun I can just about see one of them.

I've asked the dealer to find out a solution to this especially as I am about to buy another Z4.

I think I was lucky that the sun wasn't that strong when the car was wet or I might not have sorted this by myself.

Still love my Z though.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
Wcollins
Wcollins
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I have the white color and have had no problems with water marks. I use a good wax and a quick detailer product between washings.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Be very careful if you decide to cut & buff the paint. The factory finish is extemely thin and very easy to cut through to the metal. If you don't have experience with a buffer pay a pro to do it. Buffers work magic in trained hands but can burn through an edge in seconds. Clay bars come in fine, medium, and corse. If you buy an off the shelf name brand clay kit it will have the fine bar inside. A good detail/paint supply store will have the other two. Start with the coarse and work down. Before you start be sure to strip the existing wax off. Easy way to do that is use Dawn dish soap. It will strip in just by washing the car. From there use all three grades of clay starting with coarse and working down. If that does not remove the spots then chances are very high your clear coat is damaged. If that is the case the entire car will need to be wet sanded and re-shot with clear.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #22
Karen and John
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

We had a similar problem on our Space Grey Z4 when a pipe on the (well water) irrigation system got punctured, spraying the car with hard water which then dried in the morning sun. I used white wine vinegar and then a wash down with lots of fresh water - job done!
Appreciate 0