New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Is anyone putting the 3M clear bra on their new Z4?

I had one put on my '06 Monaco Blue, but I don't know if I want to put one on my new one when I get it. I know it saved my car from a lot of stone chips and back in '06 a lot of people were having it applied. I don't seem to see anyone on any of the Z4 forums talking about putting it on their new Z4. Your thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I had one put on my '06 Monaco Blue, but I don't know if I want to put one on my new one when I get it. I know it saved my car from a lot of stone chips and back in '06 a lot of people were having it applied. I don't seem to see anyone on any of the Z4 forums talking about putting it on their new Z4. Your thoughts???
what color is your car going to be? if you did, i would only do the bumper, don't do bumper + 1/4 the hood, etc, that really looks bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinaustin View Post
what color is your car going to be? if you did, i would only do the bumper, don't do bumper + 1/4 the hood, etc, that really looks bad.
My car is going to be Orion Silver. I had the bumper and 1/4 of the hood done on my Monaco Blue and it was barely noticeable. I was wondering why it was so highly recommended in 2006 and now no one is even considering it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
MDLFCS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Zee Four 35i

I have one on my 09 Z4. I had the headlamps, mirrors, part of the hood and the front bumper covered. The paint chips so easily on the front bumper, I could not believe it myself! Even the front bumper has a paint defect near the badge where the factory appeared to paint it separately, resulting in a "line". Having the plastic film hid most of the defect and the chip repairs.

But, it did not cover the clearcoat scratches and even the film inself can show scratches as well. Not happy to hear about them. But, at least the paint covered is protected from chips.

I wish BMW could improve the chip resistance and having no paint defects whatsoever coming from a premier manufacturer!

However, not all of the paint is being covered. The film cannot go under the lip of the hood to protect the hood's leading edge, but it would protect the majority of chips that woudld otherwise form.

I have heard that they have full body customized to cover the entire hood, fenders, doors, etc. I was quoted almost $3K to cover the entire hood, bumper, fenders, top, doors, rocker panels, but not the trunk lid, rear bumper and taillights. Those are extra and do not really need to be covered.

I read online that even the windshields got covered in film too!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLFCS View Post
I have one on my 09 Z4. I had the headlamps, mirrors, part of the hood and the front bumper covered. The paint chips so easily on the front bumper, I could not believe it myself! Even the front bumper has a paint defect near the badge where the factory appeared to paint it separately, resulting in a "line". Having the plastic film hid most of the defect and the chip repairs.

But, it did not cover the clearcoat scratches and even the film inself can show scratches as well. Not happy to hear about them. But, at least the paint covered is protected from chips.

I wish BMW could improve the chip resistance and having no paint defects whatsoever coming from a premier manufacturer!

However, not all of the paint is being covered. The film cannot go under the lip of the hood to protect the hood's leading edge, but it would protect the majority of chips that woudld otherwise form.

I have heard that they have full body customized to cover the entire hood, fenders, doors, etc. I was quoted almost $3K to cover the entire hood, bumper, fenders, top, doors, rocker panels, but not the trunk lid, rear bumper and taillights. Those are extra and do not really need to be covered.

I read online that even the windshields got covered in film too!
I know what you mean about the paint so easily getting stone chips. I had a red Z3 and a Sterling Gray Z4 that both had so many stone chips that when I got my dark paint '06 Monaco Blue, I knew that I had to do something because the chips would really be noticeable. I am somewhat of a fanatic with my cars.

I agree that BMW should do something about making the paint more resistant to stone chips. The majority of my stone chips on my previous Z's were just from highway driving, not from driving in any area where there were noticeable stones or rocks.

When I got my '06, everyone was getting the 3M clear bra and now no one is even mentioning it. I only had it on my front bumper, 1/4 of the hood, and the backs of my mirrors.

What color is your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Do you see "bubbles" under the film? I went to the local 3M dealer and the guy showed me a coated vehicle that had a lot bubbles under the film. He said that on dark colors this is the only way to go. Anyway the whole thing looked rather chip and the finish was looking "oily". How is yours?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

as soon as our Z4 arrives next week at the dealer - it is going to the 3m applicator for bumper + 1/4 hood and mirrors only. ours is jet black and will show chips badly - I have seen them applied extremely welll by this guy on Lambos, Maseratis, Porsches, etc. it will cost $495 US for a custom application. this is a steep discount in these economic times
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannisa View Post
Do you see "bubbles" under the film? I went to the local 3M dealer and the guy showed me a coated vehicle that had a lot bubbles under the film. He said that on dark colors this is the only way to go. Anyway the whole thing looked rather chip and the finish was looking "oily". How is yours?
Actually on my '06 Monaco Blue which is very dark, it was virtually free of bubbles. It really depends on how good the person is who is putting it on. I got into a small fender bender a short time after buying the car and they replaced the front bumper along with the 3M clear bra. When I went to pick up the car from the body shop, there were bubbles in many areas. I refused to accept the car as it had been applied perfectly when I first took delivery after purchasing. They agreed to re-do it and it came out almost as good as the original application.

Once again, I cannot stress enough, how it really depends on how good the person who applies it is.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Actually on my '06 Monaco Blue which is very dark, it was virtually free of bubbles. It really depends on how good the person is who is putting it on. I got into a small fender bender a short time after buying the car and they replaced the front bumper along with the 3M clear bra. When I went to pick up the car from the body shop, there were bubbles in many areas. I refused to accept the car as it had been applied perfectly when I first took delivery after purchasing. They agreed to re-do it and it came out almost as good as the original application.

Once again, I cannot stress enough, how it really depends on how good the person who applies it is.
That's a fact for sure.
What about the gloss appeal? Did your Monaco look like someone just applied a thick varnish with a paintbrush? Did the color look altered when you looked at it up close?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
MDLFCS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Zee Four 35i

Quote:
I know what you mean about the paint so easily getting stone chips. I had a red Z3 and a Sterling Gray Z4 that both had so many stone chips that when I got my dark paint '06 Monaco Blue, I knew that I had to do something because the chips would really be noticeable. I am somewhat of a fanatic with my cars.

I agree that BMW should do something about making the paint more resistant to stone chips. The majority of my stone chips on my previous Z's were just from highway driving, not from driving in any area where there were noticeable stones or rocks.

When I got my '06, everyone was getting the 3M clear bra and now no one is even mentioning it. I only had it on my front bumper, 1/4 of the hood, and the backs of my mirrors.

What color is your car?
Mine is in deep sky blue metallic paint.

When they put in the front bumper, I noticed a bubble or rather...a flat round spot. The owner/installer said that either that or it may get worse. He was saying that he is the best installer in the Texas film competition or something, but I don't think they go hand in hand after looking at my car...

I haven't thought with the film on, that it looks oily, but maybe with closer look with sun outside. I haven't been having much sun since I got the car in Alaska.

I had a problem with the headlight and had the car sent back to fix, but still not perfect. It had a air/dust bubble. Now, it looks like some white bit left. So, it all depends who installs it and in my part of the world, there is just one shop that does film.

But, I did not like the film scratches. It looks like clearcoat scratches. The installer said that they had the hood buffed prior of putting it on, but I don't know for sure.

The way to cover the film scratches up is to wax over it. I haven't got to that part yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #11
BimmerKat
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive3.5i

I'm getting Stone-x put on my Z4 3.5 tomorrow. I wouldn't do it but I won it at an event at my dealership a few months ago. My husband had to have his re-done due to bubbles so I will be sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb before I leave. Overall, I'm a fan of it when it is done properly.

For those of you complaining about the paint -- BMW paint is miles ahead of Honda.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
I had my last BMW 650 Convertible fully masked by the company listed below that also shows pictures of their work. They did it seamless (custom) where the entire hood, fender, and bumper was covered. Since my car was white, it was great and easy to clean. If it had seams like a 1/4 hood covering then you would see some dirt accumulating on the seam.

I will not be getting done on my on coming Alpine white 2010 Z4 (should arrive this week) since they told me the hood was too long and cannot avoid having a seam on the hood. I'd hate to see a line when the dirt starts accumulating because mine is white (easy to see). So I'll pass this time. Plus I'm leasing anyways. But here is the company that does an awesome job. They are located in Northern and Socal. I'm sure there are other companies similar that does custom coverage:

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/gallery_bmw.shtml
      11-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
Berke693
PEET sDrive
Qatar
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I have that protection

3 day's after I did get my new car, I made the protection on the front bumper 1/4 from the hood, it's over the head light, even the small spokes in the kidney radiator gril. They even put it on the front window, mirrors and the edges from both doors.
I needed to return after 2 day's. But I did not have the time, so I did return after 4 day's. I did have 3 air bubbles on the bumper, and they did fix it.
They give me 7 years guarantee, if something is wrong or have scratch I can go back they will repair it.
If you don't know that's it's on the car, you don't see it.
Only on the hood you see one very thing line, but you need really to look.
It's from Protection cars in Doha, they did inform me it's also available in Europ, but if it's in US I don't know. But sure there is one professional company what can do it.
I recommend to do it, if you like to drive high speeds.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I am with you 100%; just had the clear bra installed on my 2010 X5 35d and my wife's 2009 Z4 35i is going in for the same treatment this week. As with many things in this world, finding a good person to install it is key.
Appreciate 0